Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

Avast! Virus Chest

This is a discussion on Avast! Virus Chest within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey Guys, I just ran a scan using Avast! Professional Edition, and a trojan was detected. Am I better off

Old 07-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

I just ran a scan using Avast! Professional Edition, and a trojan was detected. Am I better off using the "delete" option, or the "move to chest" option?

For those of you who don't have avast, the "virus chest" is a folder separate from your OS where you can store viruses. I'm just not sure if leaving the virus on my computer is a good idea or not.

Your opinion is respected!

-Daywalker

Old 07-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Registered Member

If anyone has any ideas, please respond.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Ben
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to Ben

IMO using the delete option better as it completly removes the virus from the computer

HijackThis • AVG Anti-Virus • AVG Anti-Spyware • SpywareBlaster • CWShredder • HOSTS File
PC Safety and Security - What Do I Need? • So How Did I Get Infected In The First Place?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Management Team, Security Center & TSF Academy
Expert Analyst, Moderator, Security Team
Rangemaster, Moderator, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

While Avast is an excellent program, every application can be subject to false positives.

Quarantine of finds is a safe way to remove the threat from the Active OS, if you have any concerns about the file being possibly legit.

http://www.avast.com/eng/whats_new_in_avast_v2.html#8

Quote:
Virus chest

As our customers wished, we included so called Virus Chest to avast! 4 (sometimes called virus quarantine).

The Chest can be thought of as a folder on your disk having special properties that make it a safe, isolated place suitable for storing certain files. You can work with the files in the Chest, even though with some security restrictions.

The main properties of the Virus Chest are complete isolation from the rest of the operating system (no outside process, i.e. no virus either, may access the files inside) and the fact that the files inside the Chest may not be run (i.e. there is no danger in storing viruses there).
If you're sure it's bad, and it makes you feel better, delete it.

Items can also be removed from the chest finally by running the application, and going to the Chest module, highlighting those files under Infected Files one wants to remove, and selecting Delete.

tetonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Roaming To Help

I use Avast on one of my systems, and it's always best to Quarantine as there can be many false positives, especially with downloaded programs, as tetonbob suggested.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Registered Member

Ok, thanks guys!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
Registered Member

hi guys, similar problem here but it says explorer.exe infected with win-32:bamital-x, can't repair it
Old 08-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
Moderator Offline

Gz752:

Hi and welcome to the forum

Please start your own thread please, as this one is three years old.

If you think your are infected, only one place to go to receive help here:

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, please post the requested logs in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, not here.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote