Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

Auto-Protect in Norton won't turn on!

This is a discussion on Auto-Protect in Norton won't turn on! within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I am so frustrated with my Norton 2009 product because this has happened to me before. I don't know

Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I am so frustrated with my Norton 2009 product because this has happened to me before. I don't know very much about computers. The thing is, there is a Symantic Support window (some kind of Norton logmein help) that pops up every time I log into my laptop and I was getting annoyed. So, I tried to uninstall it and then redownload it. However, after redownloading it, the Auto-Protect kept staying off and it won't turn on. I went into Settings and clicked "on" but it stays off. I called Norton help and they say there is a virus on my computer and will charge me $99.99 to help me fix it. That is so expensive!! I don't even know for sure if there is a virus because I didn't get any infection notices on my laptop or anything. If anything could help me figure out a way to turn and keep my auto-protect on, I would be so relieved.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi, welcome to TSF

When you contacted Norton, did you give them remote access to your computer to run some tests, or did you post them any log files, or are they just guessing that the computer is infected?

We have a Norton representative who sometimes posts on this forum. Hopefully, he'll see this thread and save you $100.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

I gave them remote access to my computer and the Norton person said my computer was infected because Norton couldn't be properly installed. However, from my point of view, the Norton was installed except for the auto protect problem. The only reason why I feel like there might be no virus is because I've had this exact auto-protect problem a year ago and a Norton assistant had helped me fix it.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
Hi

I am so frustrated with my Norton 2009 product because this has happened to me before. I don't know very much about computers. The thing is, there is a Symantic Support window (some kind of Norton logmein help) that pops up every time I log into my laptop and I was getting annoyed. So, I tried to uninstall it and then redownload it. However, after redownloading it, the Auto-Protect kept staying off and it won't turn on. I went into Settings and clicked "on" but it stays off. I called Norton help and they say there is a virus on my computer and will charge me $99.99 to help me fix it. That is so expensive!! I don't even know for sure if there is a virus because I didn't get any infection notices on my laptop or anything. If anything could help me figure out a way to turn and keep my auto-protect on, I would be so relieved.
Hi wendywu,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Please tell me which 2009 Norton product you have installed, as well as the error message you are receiving regarding Auto-Protect. Also, are you using Windows XP or Windows Vista?

Thank you,
Mike
Old 08-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael York View Post
Hi wendywu,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Please tell me which 2009 Norton product you have installed, as well as the error message you are receiving regarding Auto-Protect. Also, are you using Windows XP or Windows Vista?

Thank you,
Mike
Ok...problem is back - but a bit different. Now it doesn't run a full liveupdate - it says not everything installed...and won't look for updated definitions.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

I'm sorry to intrude here, but shellab, I believe you have accidentally posted on wendywu's thread of the same name?
Old 08-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Management Team, Security Center & TSF Academy
Expert Analyst, Moderator, Security Team
Rangemaster, Moderator, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I split/copied shellab's posts to his own topic

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f112...ab-409183.html

shellab, please stick with that one. It's generally best to create your own topic, even though issues may seem the same or nearly the same.

tetonbob is offline   Reply With Quote