Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

suggestions please for 3-in-1 printer

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 ·
My HP 3-in-1 printer is about 9 years old and about to die. I'm hoping to have some money in December to buy a new 3-in-1 printer (printer, scanner, copier - don't want or need fax).

I've been unhappy with the HP. However, it's almost a decade old.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good 3-in-1 printer without fax; I use copier and scanner besides the printer parts? I will probably purchase at Best Buy, Staples, or Office Depot.

Thank you.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Thank you Storeguns and Sobeit for the suggestions.

I don't have a wireless computer; will a wireless printer work with an non-wireless computer?

We don't have Walmart here.

I will look into a Canon as had those in the past but only printer (no scanner/copier) and like them; no conflicts with printer driver/programs and windows and other programs, no paper jams and weird stuff about ink cartridges, etc.

#5 ·
if you dont have a wireless network, then you should be able to use usb cable but there are other similar models that are not wireless. The main thing I look at is ink cartridges.

#7 · (Edited)
do you have a wireless router ?
if so the Canon MG5550 is very good, it will also work via USB - installed about 5 so far and daughter has 1 too

Also supports airprint - so works with ipads and iphones
simple to setup and works well
Only had 1 issue in UK with ipv6 - bit canon support resolved in a few minutes over the phone

Main reason they are reduced at the moment in UK as new models are released from canon. So may not be the same in the states

#8 ·
Hi etaf, Basementgeek, and sobeit,

Thank you for your input. I'm considering Canon. I can't find Canon MG5550; however, maybe in the US it's a different model number from the UK?

The one I've seen the most is Canon - PIXMA MG5520; also, Canon - PIXMA MG6620 and Canon - PIXMA MG7520. However, all are wireless, so I'll have to see if they work with a cable.

The PIXMA MG5520 is at 2 stores and one is very close to me (Staples) and if more expensive, I think they do price matching.

I'm looking for something mostly for documents as almost never print out pictures (but may occasionally).

Thank you for your help.

#9 ·
Just started to read reviews and they have some major flaws: hard to setup even for people who have setup networks (but since I don't have wireless that won't apply to me?); color tanks used even when only printing in black and white; paper jam problems often and hard to get at.

I'll keep looking.

Thank you.

#10 ·
I'm still thinking of getting a Canon; however, my brother-in-law has one and he says you can't buy the ink tanks separately and have to change them all out when one goes dry and that's about $100.

I thought the whole idea behind having separate ink tanks was being able to switch out only the ones that were empty.

He also says that it uses color when printing in black.

Any one else have these problems?

#11 ·
my brother-in-law has one and he says you can't buy the ink tanks separately and have to change them all out when one goes dry and that's about $100.
not true
look at best buy in states for a canon printer
ink Brand|Canon Compatibility - Best Buy
and you can see the different colour tanks

He also says that it uses color when printing in black.
yes a lot of printers do - you would need to find a particular spec to see if if you can set the driver to use black only.

#12 · (Edited)
Hi etaf,

Thanks for letting me know.

BTW, the link isn't working for some reason.

I get the following message:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, support@techsupportforum.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

#16 ·
They have some quite neat little ideas, touch screens, animation for set up, they even have a thing for folks with kids for coloring pages lol, I like the built in wifi and email.
And a new thing on ink which will suit some folks. But don't let me influence you I only gave it as another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.