Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Printer Support

[SOLVED] HP Officejet 4500 Connectivity Issue

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] HP Officejet 4500 Connectivity Issue within the Printer Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell 620i computer running Windows 7 Ultimate. I had an HP Officejet All in One 5600 from

Old 01-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

I have a Dell 620i computer running Windows 7 Ultimate. I had an HP Officejet All in One 5600 from my old computer and tried to use it with the new computer with no luck. I purchased a 4500 and am on my second one. HP has been unable to solve my problem.

After installing updated drivers, the printer shows to be disconnected. It works as a scanner, copier, and fax when it is up, but the printer is the big issue. HP has me disconnect the power cord or the USB cord and sometimes it brings the printer to life. But the next day, I am back to the same issue. Changing USB ports does not seem to help.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't see connecting and disconnecting cords at startup as a viable suggestion.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

So you are having the exact same problem with three different printers? If so, it's possible you have a PC issue, and not a printer issue.

Try leaving the printer powered on. It should power off automatically after x number of minutes of inactivity. Or you may have to select power off in the printer setup.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

As a test, I connected the printer up to a laptop and it worked using the USB port and Windows XP. I decided to try to use an ethernet cable on the desktop computer. It solved the problem. I don't have a clue as to why, but I am pleased that the issue is behind me.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search