Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Printer Support

Printer and Windows won't communicate

This is a discussion on Printer and Windows won't communicate within the Printer Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I purchased a new Lexmark All-in-One printer X1240. I was cleaning out previous printer registry settings, had a couple

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi. I purchased a new Lexmark All-in-One printer X1240. I was cleaning out previous printer registry settings, had a couple previous printers, and think I goofed by deleting something I shouldn't have as I can no longer get the new printer to print (it was working fine before then). I made the mistaken assumption that as long as I was deleting anything that specifically mentioned the previous printers by name was safe to delete thinking the worst case scenario was that reinstalling the new one would recreate anything necessary.

I have tried repeatedly to uninstall and reinstall the new printer via various methods (ie. CD install, letting Windows install it, downloaded the latest .exe from the Lexmark site) with the same results. The printer is functioning properly (can print using the self test), cables/USB port are all good, Windows recognizes and everything has installed without issue, listed in device manager as functioning properly. The issue just seems that there is some file and/or registry setting that isn't functioning that tells them to communicate as any printing attempts just bring up a "cannot communicate" window pointing me in the direction of checking cables, turn off/on printer, reboot, etc. The printer software also states "Cannot Communicate".

I believe I've elimated everything else in troubleshooting other than any registry setting that may be needed that wouldn't get created via uninstall/reinstalling. Using XP.

Any chance anyone could point me in the direction of what I should look for and possibly recreate it if it is indeed corrupted/missing (if my assumption is correct) or anything else I can try?

Thank you kindly.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Verify that your Print Spooler Service is running.

Start > Run > in the Run Box type : services.msc > OK :

Should look like this at Print Spooler :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Print Spooler.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	11524  

Old 03-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you kindly for the reply.

It is running (attached screenshot).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	11525  
Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

OK, have a look here...there are some special Lexmark instructions :
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
Old 03-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Went through all the steps on that page (though I did the cleanspl.exe manually), rebooted and then reinstalled with no luck. The printer and Windows "cannot commuincate".

It's like it doesn't even try as immediately going into the Lexmark Solution Center already lists "Cannot Communicate". If I try to print something it almost immediately, maybe a 2-3 second delay, the cannot communicate window pops up.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

OK, in Printer Properties, do you have Bi-Directional Support enabled ?

I wonder if you have a Restore point set, where you could go back to before your Registry original edits.

If so, then just perform the typical driver/software deletions, from the Control Panel.
Leave the Registry as is.
Then reinstall the new printer/driver/software in the sequence that Lexmark dictates in their manual. Sometimes there's a precise, quirky order that has to be followed.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Idea

Just a quick thought here incase it's something to stupid to see looking for other causes, but have you gone into your printers (Start - Printers and Faxes) and made sure your printer is set as the default printer ?
I'm just wondering if you did remove it somehow earlier and in the process you've put it back but for whatever reason it hasn't reasserted itself as the default printer again, so check that out just incase, but if thats fine I'm not sure what else to say at this point so I'll leave you n the capable hands of jflan as he's on the case for you.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Well, if you're down here with still no joy, you can try this...it's easy.

Power cycle the printer and clear the printer's on board memory.

From Lexmark:

Quick Fix for Communication Problems ID:ENUS9990

A quick fix for most communication errors can be achieved by resetting the printer and/or rebooting the PC, as explained below.

Frequently, issues are caused simply by a break in the signal sent from PC to printer or vice versa.

Unplugging and re-plugging the printer allows the small amount of on-board memory on the printer to be cleared, with the result that the PC recognizes the machine properly.

Programs continuing to run in the background of the operating system (OS) can cause the signal to be lost.

Rebooting the PC ends all programs that may be running and makes a 'clean' start, allowing the signal to be detected.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

This may be a good case for system restore. It will undo all the registry changes you made.
This is why we say you should back up your registry before making any changes.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:26 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
OK, in Printer Properties, do you have Bi-Directional Support enabled ?
Enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8210GUY View Post
Just a quick thought here incase it's something to stupid to see looking for other causes, but have you gone into your printers (Start - Printers and Faxes) and made sure your printer is set as the default printer ?
I'm just wondering if you did remove it somehow earlier and in the process you've put it back but for whatever reason it hasn't reasserted itself as the default printer again, so check that out just incase, but if thats fine I'm not sure what else to say at this point so I'll leave you n the capable hands of jflan as he's on the case for you.
Listed as default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Well, if you're down here with still no joy, you can try this...it's easy.

Power cycle the printer and clear the printer's on board memory.

From Lexmark:

Quick Fix for Communication Problems ID:ENUS9990

A quick fix for most communication errors can be achieved by resetting the printer and/or rebooting the PC, as explained below.

Frequently, issues are caused simply by a break in the signal sent from PC to printer or vice versa.

Unplugging and re-plugging the printer allows the small amount of on-board memory on the printer to be cleared, with the result that the PC recognizes the machine properly.

Programs continuing to run in the background of the operating system (OS) can cause the signal to be lost.

Rebooting the PC ends all programs that may be running and makes a 'clean' start, allowing the signal to be detected.
Done many, many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrister View Post
This may be a good case for system restore. It will undo all the registry changes you made.
This is why we say you should back up your registry before making any changes.
Yeah, I would have considered it but really didn't think I was changing anything that wasn't going to be recreated when reinstalling the software as a worst case scenario. Everything I removed specifically mentioned the no longer used printers by name/model so it really didn't seem like a big deal at all as I've done things like removing no longer used entries many times in the past. Guess I must have hit one that wasn't as harmless as I suspected though absolutely everything else appears to be working fine (can use the USB ports without issue.. just can't print).

Quote:
I wonder if you have a Restore point set, where you could go back to before your Registry original edits.

If so, then just perform the typical driver/software deletions, from the Control Panel.
Leave the Registry as is.
Then reinstall the new printer/driver/software in the sequence that Lexmark dictates in their manual. Sometimes there's a precise, quirky order that has to be followed.
Is this truly the last option remaining? Any chance somebody might come along and have an idea what registry setting/entry that may be required for the printer and Windows to communicate that wouldn't be recreated during the printer install? If so, I would prefer exploring that route before going the system restore point road.

If that isn't going to be an option because it is too difficult narrowing down/knowing what registry entry may be needed, could someone provide me with some expectations regarding using a restore point?

I know how to do it but it isn't something I've ever needed to do and would like a little more information on exactly what will be changed. Should I make sure and back up settings, files, etc or will Windows only restore certain settings (and, if so, which ones so that I can make sure and redo any changes I may wish to since that restore point).

Thank you all very much for sharing your knowledge. It is appreciated.

Edit: Regarding a potential quirky order Lexmark's sometimes need to be installed in. I think I tossed the manual, which was just a one page connection chart if I recall, so wanted to make sure I remember it. I believe it was just connect the printer, cables, turn on, let Windows find it and then click cancel when it asks can I connect to looke for drivers and use the CD software. I've tried a number of different ways since this issue with nothing changing but it couldn't hurt to try again I guess.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

System Restore :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Restore

If you have a Restore Point set prior to your Registry edits I would use it.
That way the issue of Registry damage becomes less likely.

As you can/will see you can roll backward and forward with it.
I've never had any problems using it.

After having said that, I still think chances are greater that it's a Lexmark issue.
Seems that they've had a run of "communication" errors.

You might want to browse this Lexmark list and see if something stands out :
http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/knowledgebase.cgi
Type "cannot communicate" and you will get 20 hits

Any chance your motherboard has an SiS chipset ? : )
Old 03-22-2007, 10:59 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Any chance your motherboard has an SiS chipset ? : )
Intel. Toshiba laptop.

Quote:
After having said that, I still think chances are greater that it's a Lexmark issue.
Seems that they've had a run of "communication" errors.

You might want to browse this Lexmark list and see if something stands out :
http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/knowledgebase.cgi
Type "cannot communicate" and you will get 20 hits
The only thing I saw on there that I haven't tried is this one that mentions an .exe patch for a couple of different models. Does mention registry settings so I wish they listed them as I wouldn't mind poking around to see which ones they are talking about.

[QUOTE=jflan;832427]System Restore :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Restore

If you have a Restore Point set prior to your Registry edits I would use it.
That way the issue of Registry damage becomes less likely.

As you can/will see you can roll backward and forward with it.
I've never had any problems using it.[quote]

It doesn't mention everything that will be changed but it does say anything not in the My Documents folder might not be safe (and I don't use that folder due to MS insistence of creating folders in there at will without users permission).

The sad thing is, I suspect that Lexmark CS could name the specific registry entries that I could check that are needed to communicate that aren't updated during the printer install but I doubt they will offer them.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:14 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Open printer properties and then open the Ports Tab and see what port is assigned to it.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:18 AM   #14
Registered Member

USB001 Virtual Printer Port for USB Lexmark 1200 Series
Old 03-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #15
Registered Member

Not sure whether this provides any new information to help troubleshoot but I reinstalled my previous printer and it works without a hitch (Lexmark 3200).

The only thing is that one is a parallel port printer so I'm not sure if that matters (meaning anything that may be causing the USB Lexmark not to print is exclusive to printing on the USB port versus the LPT one). Both of the USB ports function properly other than can't getting the printer to communicate with Windows to print.

Is restore still the only way to go or does the new info change anything (Lexmark has ceased replying to emails)?

Thanks again everyone for your time and help.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

LPT and USB would be different sub-systems.

If you are concerned about those Registry edits, I would give System Restore a chance, as long as there is still an available Restore Point, prior.

If you haven't already, try a different USB cable, all your USB ports and keep other USB devices unplugged while you troubleshoot.

I am out of ideas on this one, other rolling the dice ($15 USD) on another USB controller via a PCI card. I've seen reports of that working in these cases.
Get the NEC chip.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

I see you have a lappy...the PCI USB card is not an option.
What is the exact make/model of your laptop ?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:54 PM   #18
Registered Member

Toshiba Satellite 1905
Old 03-28-2007, 07:01 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

OK, do you see anything else in the model #, for example :
Toshiba Satellite 1905-Sxxx ?

After guessing at the suffix in the model #, it appears that you have an Intel 845 chipset.
The 845 supports USB 1.1 and not USB 2.0
I'm wondering now, if your PSC will operate on USB 1.1 or does it need USB 2.0 ?

Online specs say :
"USB Compatible with USB 2.0 Specification"

Anything mentioned in the manual about USB 2.0 being required ?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #20
Registered Member

Sorry, S301.

Yes, this chipset has USB 1.1 and not 2.0.

When I originally installed the all-in-one it worked fine. After I decided to uninstall all previous printers and their remnants is when I got into trouble and can no longer to get it to work (which is why I have concerns of the registry.. since it did work at one point). I presume the lack of USB 2.0 support isn't the cause, unless something I removed is connected to a USB driver but they are all listed as being the latest and functioning properly.

When I get some time to backup everything and write down any settings I know I want to keep, I'm going to go the restore route.