Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Windows 7 - HP 1012 printer installation (resort to Vista drivers)

14K views 70 replies 5 participants last post by  JimE 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 ·
Re: I ran install for Vista printer DL - no dice

The printer icon would only be displayed if the driver/software update was successful and the printer was usuable.

Are you still trying to install drivers from a different OS because that printer is not supported by your current OS?

#3 ·

This being a new thread, let's treat it as such without cross referencing stuff from the other thread that got quite murky with new issues being brought up in between and throwing people off focus. Let's keep it tidy and focus on ATTEMPTING to fix your issue, which is setting up your printer to work in Windows Seven, but before we get on with it, take note of the following:

1. This forum is made up of members just like you who are most likely NOT affiliated to HP or its partners and are therefore not experts from HP. If their non-expert credentials blur your perception of the assistance they have to offer, you are better off seeking "competent" help from HP Support (good luck with that). Your persistence in requesting for an HP expert forms the impression that you are seeking for help in the wrong place.

2. Not everything works with everything at all times. The printer in question is not officially supported on Windows Seven and therefore drivers are not available for it and Seven (neither does HP offer technical support for non-supported operating systems). Setting it up in Windows Seven is therefore a hit-and-miss feat; it may seem to work (printing plain text) and may not be fully functional (printing photos and other graphics), but it may also not work at all.

Now, let's get on with it.
1. Unplug the printer from the pc

2. Uninstall the Vista drivers you just installed (Control Panel, Programs and Features, Uninstall a program)

3. Reboot

4. Open Device Manager as administrator (search in start menu, right-click and select run as administrator) and look for ANY devices with yellow exclamation marks next to them. If any does, right-click it and select uninstall. Repeat the same for all devices with exclamation marks next to them. Reboot. If you uninstalled any devices this way, they may be detected as new hardware upon reboot. Do not interfere with their installation. If drivers are not found for any device, their installation will fail. Take note of the devices, you'll need to sort them out anyway. If no device had an exclamation mark, just proceed to the next step.

5. Clean up temporary files (run Disk CleanUp - Google for details if necessary)

6. Temporarily disable your antivirus program and close all open programs. Run the Vista drivers setup. If you are prompted to connect the printer at a particular stage of the installation, do exactly that. Plug it in directly (not through external hub) and power it up. It should be detected as a new device and the installation wizard should automatically continue until completion.

If the installation wizard doesn't prompt you to connect the printer and continues until completion, just go ahead and reboot, then plug it in and power it up. It should be automatically detected as a new device. Let it be installed using the Vista drivers you just installed.

7. Report back if you encounter any unexpected behavior, for instance if the printer is not detected at all by Windows, or if it is detected, but not installed during the Vista drivers installation or after the reboot. Screen shots won't be necessary, just follow each step one at a time and report back any failures at any step. Do not attempt something else when you hit a hurdle, report back instead and let us take you through getting around them.

#4 · (Edited)

Stancestans, I'm so sorry, please forgive me I feel like an idiot.

While trying to figure out #2 and #3 I then forgot to disconnect the printer from my USB hub.

Instead, I'd gone ahead with #2 and #3 (uninstall & reboot)

Upon reboot it was attempting to check Windows install to install Driver components, but then coughed up an error msg.

Also, there is still an AMD File resident among the Programs List.

And when I [again] tried uninstalling it it displayed:

"There are currently no components to uninstall"
(something like that)

Is there any way now to Undo my absentminded error of forgetting to unplug?

#5 ·

No need for apologies Minni, I just wanted you to understand what to expect from the TSF community and possible outcomes of your query.

Upon reboot it was attempting to check Windows install to install Driver components, but then coughed up an error msg.
That is expected because there are no drivers installed yet. Hopefully we'll fix that.

Also, there is still an AMD File resident among the Programs List.

And when I [again] tried uninstalling it it displayed:

"There are currently no components to uninstall"
(something like that)
AMD software has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Uninstall only the Vista drivers for the printer. If you choose to uninstall other non-related stuff, that's irrelevant to this thread. Please stick to the issue at hand.

Is there any way now to Undo my absentminded error of forgetting to unplug?
Just unplug it and proceed with the other steps (starting with #3). Keep it unplugged until the drivers installation wizard prompts you to connect it. If the wizard doesn't prompt you to plug it in, proceed as instructed in step #6.

#6 ·

Oh boy, I'm getting deeper & deeper into a morass, with firstly the printer out of commission and now this.
:hide: :jail:
Is AMD Catalyst something important that I need to restore, via Restore Point?

Because I actually was sticking to the issue at hand! :confused: and here's why:
In instruction #2 above, you didn't specify what I should uninstall.

So because nothing was specified, I looked for the one with the latest date (within programs&features) - and that turned out to be AMD Catalyst Install Manager (by Advanced Micro Devices) which was listed as having been installed 3/3/2015.

The only other one listed that was installed 3/3/2015 was Arachnophilia.

So I assumed that the AMD Catalyst Install Mgr was the Vista Drivers program which needed to be uninstalled.

Not only that, when I checked my download files & clicked the legacy-vista file, here's what I got (please see my below screenshot to see why I associated AMD with Vista:

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)

AMD Catalyst is the video driver package/software.

If this is a laptop, get the drivers from the manufacturers website. If it's a desktop, you can get the drivers directly from AMD.

Vista drivers aren't likely to be listed in Add & Remove Programs. But if you installed the printer software (ie: Canon, HP, etc.), then you should see entries.

#8 · (Edited)

AMD Catalyst is the video driver package/software.
the video driver package for what?

Can someone here PLEASE PLEASE help me get back at least to where I was previously, when I at least had my printer working via firefox, even if not IE & Win-photo?

Now on top of that, I've no idea what the heck AMD Catalyst is,
nor how essential it might be for my laptop.

I'm so upset, since I just now noted that my system had not saved the Restore Point which I had recently set upon Joe's advice.

This, despite that I'd sweated at it (that much I remember), and also I remembered that I went back into it, to be sure that a point had been set. Yet now, I can't retrieve it, rather it only lists 3/5/2015!

Previous systems used to make the restore-point process intuitive and user-controlled (so much for new-improved systems!

For clarity, I decided to offer a screenshot of what's listed right now amid my Program files.

It's confusing to explain, but upon my Uninstall of AMD-Catalyst, it seems to me that it had made a copy which it left on my system.

So that's what you might be seeing in my below screenshot.
Could that have been a failsafe measure?

I don't remember for sure what actually happened. My memory went down-south long ago.

Attachments

#9 ·

Is AMD Catalyst something important that I need to restore, via Restore Point?
You mean the AMD Catalyst Install Manager. It's not something crucial, it's just an installation manager as it's name suggests (it's a utility used to manage installations of AMD Catalyst i.e uninstall, install, update etc), so don't worry about it if you uninstalled it.

Because I actually was sticking to the issue at hand! and here's why:
In instruction #2 above, you didn't specify what I should uninstall.
I'm sorry if the instructions seem ambiguous. The issue at hand is your printer not working after you installed Vista drivers for it, so when I said to uninstall the Vista drivers that you just installed (see your thread title), I thought the printer drivers are automatically implied. #2 should read "Uninstall the Vista printer drivers you just installed (Control Panel, Programs and Features, Uninstall a program)", but I don't see it listed on your installed programs list, so that step doesn't apply anymore.

Moving on, leave everything else that isn't printer related alone for now.

Can someone here PLEASE PLEASE help me get back at least to where I was previously, when I at least had my printer working via firefox, even if not IE & Win-photo?
Yes PLEASE, let's get back to the issue at hand (printer) and leave the rest alone for now. Back to the instructions at post #3, resume starting with step #4 with the printer unplugged from your pc.

To avoid further confusion, here are steps for performing disk cleanup to clean temporary files in step #5.

i. Search for Disk Cleanup in Start menu, right-click on it and select run as administrator. It should open with a dialog asking you to select the drive you want to clean.

ii. Drive C should be automatically selected, so just click OK. Disk Cleanup will scan for deletable items and once it's finished scanning, it will open a dialog similar to the one in the attached image. Make sure the checkbox next to Temporary files is checked (circled in red), then click OK. In the dialog that opens, click Delete. The cleanup process will begin and once it's completed, the progress dialog will automatically close.

Proceed with the other steps and do not hesitate to ask for clarification if anything isn't clear.

Attachments

#10 ·

The AMD Video Drivers are the software drivers used by Windows to provide a video output to your monitor.

ANY reference to video drivers is referring to the video card or video chipset within your computer to provide a signal to your monitor.

#11 ·

I just noticed that the Vista drivers available for download for this printer are just basic drivers, i.e. without the printer software that is often supplied in the accompanying CD. This means there won't be an entry in the list of installed programs in Control Panel. The drivers are added to the Windows drivers store, so there won't be an entry in Control Panel nor in Start menu to let you uninstall it. Besides, there is no point in seeking to remove the driver from the drivers store because it's pretty harmless as long as there is no device currently using it.

I think you will have better luck using HP Universal Print Driver (HP UPD) instead of the Vista drivers which might not work. I have setup printers older than your HP LJ 1010 and I have had success every time, including a LJ 1000 in my mom’s office :grin:. While it should be noted that "not all HP printers are supported by the universal driver", there is a high probability that your printer is supported. Setting up the driver is pretty straight forward and less messy than the other options you are pursuing. To setup the printer to use the universal driver, do the following:

1. Download the system administrator’s guide for the HP UPD (~6MB) as it contains detailed instructions to setup and use the drivers. Note that this is an administrator’s guide and it does contain a lot of deployment scenarios, especially in a server/domain/Active Directory environment, so make use of the table of contents to jump to the appropriate sections, but I’ll also mention the specific pages to go to in each reference to the guide. You’ll probably only need chapters 5 (page 45) and 7 (page 81) in the whole guide to setup the drivers for use with the printer.

2. Download HP Universal Print Driver PCL 6 (16.6MB) making sure to select the correct operating system in the drop-down list (32-bit or 64-bit). Unzip the downloaded driver as instructed on page 50.

3. Unplug the printer from the PC if it is not already unplugged.

4. Prevent Windows from fetching device drivers from Windows Update as described in the guide on page 61. Do this BEFORE connecting the printer to the PC. We do not want Windows to try and fetch drivers from Windows Update because we are going to provide the driver for use by the printer.

5. Install the universal driver following the instructions at page 62: Pre installing the HP UPD Using Install.exe following steps 1 through 14. A YouTube video is even available to take you through the installation. If you hit any hurdles or encounter any failures, kindly stop and ask for further help. Seek clarification if anything is not clear enough. Feel free to include screenshots of any errors or failures during the installation wizard.

#12 · (Edited)

Yes PLEASE, let's get back to the issue at hand (printer) and leave the rest alone for now. Back to the instructions at post #3, resume starting with step #4 with the printer unplugged from your pc.
OK, this time I'm proceeding painstakingly step-by-step to get the instructions down pat.

So quoting step #4:

When I right-clicked START, here's what I got:

Properties
Open Win-Explorer

How to proceed next?
(pretend I'm a robot or dummie - your choice.
I'm both when it comes to convoluted Windows tech. :facepalm:

or should I skip to post #11?
It looks very complicated! I actually had the printer working fine before via FF, so isn't there any instructions to merely get Win-Photo and IE working?

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)

P.S. I'm tempted to try the instructions on below video.
Is it safe to try it?
I was stymied by the part where he mentioned "spooling"
as well as where he mentioned typing pathname into address bar.
He didn't seem to have entered the C:/blah blah into the address bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D0vmKQsHoY

It's mind boggling how various people state various tactics they used, some of which seemed to work for them but not for others!

I'm more tempted to try the simpler automatic methods than choosing universal driver.

#15 ·

Well, I already tried the instructions in the YouTube video, and it failed on me, with constant Red-X error messages, and during a different try it coughed up a "Severe Error" (advising Restart then retry).

I'd been experimenting with various combo's of either Dot4_001 or LPT1, combining either of them with either 1012, or 1015, or 3055pcl5.

Also trying either Win-Update or else NEXT.

None of the permutations worked, rather error messages.

So I then searched for all LJ's resident, and deleted them from my computer, to start fresh with my 1012 Installation CD.

The result is Attached, but needing advice:
which of the Red-Circled Application Files to click on?

Attachments

#16 ·

yet another sequential screenshot (sorta reminiscent of my recent thread linked in my OP)

I can't fathom how the DOT4 plus HP3055 solution worked weel for so many of the others while I myself only get error messages!

So I keep on needing to fall back on my hard-copy install-CD, yet now, even that hasn't automatically reverted to the correct Array within Devices & Printers (see below screenshot). As i recall from my recent thread (linked in the OP), printing worked after that.

Attachments

#17 ·

Thank God you are online!

OK, this time I'm proceeding painstakingly step-by-step to get the instructions down pat.

So quoting step #4:

When I right-clicked START, here's what I got:

Properties
Open Win-Explorer

How to proceed next?
(pretend I'm a robot or dummie - your choice.
I'm both when it comes to convoluted Windows tech.
You are giving robot a bad name! Robots are great at following instructions. Why do you insist on doing things your own way even after it's evident you're not heading anywhere? I thought you wanted simple, step-by-step help, yet you keep trying out multiple things not suggested here. We expect replies relating to the instructions and steps outlined here, yet you post back about other stuff that you somehow think are the correct way of fixing your problem. You keep referring to that HP forum thread which dates back to 2011. Have you stopped to consider that the solutions proposed on that thread seemed suitable at that time, but there could be a better, cleaner way around this?

#18 ·

It looks very complicated! I actually had the printer working fine before via FF, so isn't there any instructions to merely get Win-Photo and IE working?
There's your problem right there! You haven't even attempted the steps in post #11, yet you've already dismissed them as 'very complicated'. I hate to tell you this, but they won't get simpler than this no matter where you look and no, there aren't any instructions to merely get 'Win-Photo' and IE working. All programs that are capable of printing require a printer to be installed, so you can forget printing with those two or any other programs without first getting the printer installed and working even if just partially. With the Universal Print Driver, you are looking at the option of a fully functioning printer instead of a partially configured one. I don't understand why you seem so skeptic about the universal driver, yet it's a robust, vastly featured and highly capable solution offered not by a third-party company, but by HP! In fact, the HP UPD works with some non-HP products!

#19 · (Edited)

Because #11 is really very complicated for me! I'm a novice.
And other people in various other HP threads got their issues solved much less complexly.

I need someone good at solving the mysteries of Windows & HP because I've provided all the clues in my screenshots, above & below. At this point I need help with what I already have installed BUT WHICH REFUSES TO DELETE

My problem seems similar to JULIE VAL - below

see Julie Val's issue here: LaserJet 1012 Windows 7 Drivers - HP Enterprise Business Community

But unlike Julie, right-clicking doesn't enable changing the Port.
(see my attachment below)
So I just need help from a printer expert with this:
DELETING UNSPECIFIED DEVICE (in Devices/Printers
ADDED NOTE:
My Win-Installer is currently set to Manual
My Print Spooler is set to Automatic - Started

Attachments

#21 ·

I'm a novice
I think that much is very clear, that's why I was hoping you would just open up to the HP UPD alternative which in my opinion is a lot simpler than those workarounds in those old threads (2011 and 2009).

And other people in various other HP threads got their issues solved much less complexly.
Believe it or not, those people would be envious because of the alternative options you have right now, which they didn't have at that time (again, 2011 and 2009).

At this point I need help with what I already have installed BUT WHICH REFUSES TO DELETE

My problem seems similar to JULIE VAL - below

see Julie Val's issue here: LaserJet 1012 Windows 7 Drivers - HP Enterprise Business Community

But unlike Julie, right-clicking doesn't enable changing the Port.
(see my attachment below)
So I just need help from a printer expert with this:
DELETING UNSPECIFIED DEVICE (in Devices/Printers
The unspecified device cannot be deleted/removed/uninstalled because it is NOT YET INSTALLED and therefore doesn't exist as a deletable device. The device is yet to be installed and categorised (as a printer), so it cannot be deleted. You cannot delete something that does not exist as a deletable object, can you? Any device that hasn't been installed and has been plugged in will appear as an unspecified device. Windows will only categorize a device that is installed. Windows has no way of telling whether the unspecified device is a printer or a mouse, until an appropriate driver is installed and the unspecified device is configured to use the driver. The unspecified device would appear as "Other Devices" in Device Manager with an exclamation mark next to it, while SPECIFIED/KNOWN devices will be listed under the appropriate category such as "Disk Drives, Modems, Network Adapters etc). In short, an unspecified device is an uncategorized device and it is treated exactly as that. Windows would not know what device-specific options to offer when you right-click an unspecified device because it does not know what this device really is, without a driver installed.

Think of the unspecified device as a wrapped, unlabeled package given to you. You wouldn't know what is inside the package until you are told what it is, would you? You wouldn't know what the contents of the package are for. You wouldn't even be able to classify it or categorize it into a distinct group because you do not know what it is. Drivers allow Windows to correctly identify and work with a device. Without the drivers, Windows doesn't know what the device is or what it is capable of doing, therefore Windows doesn't know which device-specific options to bring up when you right-click the unspecified device. For example, Windows will give you the option to format a disk because it knows the device is a storage device and the format option is available for storage devices. On the other hand, the format option will not be available for printers or scanners or webcams... The option to change the PORT in use by the printer is a device-specific option available for printers. Since Windows doesn't know that the unspecified device is a printer, it will not bring up the option to change its port. It will only do that after knowing the unspecified device is a printer. I hope this lengthy piece of text explains why there is no option to delete the unspecified device or change its port.

I have seen Julie Val's post and she clearly states that
the LaserJet 1012 printer that was misidentified as a "Generic IEEE 1284.4"
. Windows treated the printer as a Generic IEEE 1284.4 device and for that reason it provided the option to uninstall it. After uninstalling the wrongly identified printer, it became an unspecified device just like yours, and I just explained how Windows treats an unspecified device.

As for the Print Spooler and Windows Installer services, they are correctly set in automatic and manual startup type respectively. I strongly discourage you from changing these services' settings. Those are advanced stuff that a novice should not be messing with.

Please reply to this thread all matters relating to it instead of PMing. Private messaging will only limit the help available to you, while posting in the thread opens up your issue to a vast community that is more than happy to help. I'll be quoting the PM and respond to it as i deem appropriate.

Please understand - I was not trying to get complicated or contrary! Rather sought the most understandable direct route.
Well, the routes you seek are not so reliable. That's the sad truth pal.

Complicated steps do not work for me - I know this from the past!
In my opinion, the HP UPD option is a lot simpler than trying to force the printer to use drivers not mean't for it.

So maybe once I can get that NUISANCE Unspecified Device deleted from my Devices area, then I can set Spooler to Manual and proceed clicking on one of the files within the LJ folder that was set up via my CD?
You might be able to get rid of the unspecified device (1012 printer) through device manager as follows:

1. Open Device Manager. To do this, (left) click on START and type device manager. You should see the search results similar to the image below
. Left-click on Device Manager to open it, same way you do with other programs/files on the start menu.

2. In Device Manager, you will see a list of devices placed into categories. Look for any devices in there that have a yellow exclamation mark next to them. In the case of this printer, it may be listed under "Other devices" category. Right-click on it and select the option to uninstall it. If this option is not available, then it cannot be uninstalled/deleted, for the same reason it isn't deletable in Devices and Printers. If there is no "Other devices" category, expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section. To do this, simply double-click it. Devices under this category will be listed.

Post a screenshot of Device Manager with this section expanded and with the section not expanded so that we can see the whole of Device Manager.

If you still wanna try the CD installation, unplug the printer from the pc and open the application file called autorun. Right-click that file and select run as administrator. You should only connect the printer when the HP installation wizard prompts you to. If it doesn't prompt you, reboot after the installation is complete then plug in the printer after the pc has restarted. If all goes well, the printer will be detected and installed using the drivers installed from the CD.

#22 · (Edited)

Stancestans - thanks so much for the clear explanations :smile:

I tried finding yellow exclamation marks, but couldn't find any.

So here's the screenshot you requested, after which I'm attempting the install via CD. I already tried HPsetup this past hour, but then the bar started backtracking backwards & stated "not successfully installed"
So now I'll attempt your instructions re: unplugging, "autorun" etc. etc.

In my below attachment, note that:
"USB Root Hub"
..displays four times at the very end of the list, even though it didn't fit in within the confines of my screen.

Attachments

#23 ·

Update:

I followed your instructions, ran as Admin., but again it failed to install

I'm posting a screenshot (and btw, the USB is still disconnected from my hub)

Can it be that its refusing to install because the Unspecified Device is labelled as 1012, and the CD is installing it under the name "1010"? Does it need to be given the same name as the unspecified device?

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)

OK, consider post 22, 23, 24 to be a series.
here's what keeps displaying, no matter which option I choose (i.e. hpsetup, or autorun-as-admin, and even prior to that).

If I recall correctly,when I click the Red-X, it states something about the Generic-IEEE printer being incompatible with Windows. Something to that effect.

Attachments

#25 ·

I tried finding yellow exclamation marks, but couldn't find any.
That is a good thing, so moving forward...

With the printer plugged in,
1. Open Device Manager (if not already open)

2. Expand the section IEEE 1284.4 compatible printer. The printer should be listed under this section. Right-click it and select the uninstall option. Proceed with its uninstallation.

3. Expand the section that follows; IEEE 1284.4 devices. If it's the printer that's listed here as well, right-click and uninstall it.

4. Expand the Universal serial bus controller section, right-click the USB composite device and uninstall it as well.

5. Unplug the printer from pc and reboot.

6. Clean temporary files by running Disk Cleanup as I described in post #9 in steps i and ii

7. Copy all files from the CD onto a folder on the desktop, right-click the autorun file and run as administrator. If the installation fails again, post a screenshot of the resulting error. The installation wizard should tell what error had occured during the installation to cause it to fail, probably with reference to an installation log. We might be able to tell what goes wrong during the installation.

#26 · (Edited)

Update:
The CD you have contains drivers and software meant for Windows XP, so it's no surprise that the installation is failing. Try installing with compatibility settings for Windows XP. Windows can do this automatically, all you have to do is click the option Reinstall using recommended settings when the compatibility assistant shows up again. The compatibility assistant looks similar to the earlier screenshot you posted:

You can also do it manually by right-clicking the autorun file, select Properties, go to the Compatibility tab and check the checkbox marked in red in the image below. In the Drop down box that becomes active, select Windows XP (Service Pack 3) if it isn't already selected by default. You can optionally check the bottom-most checkbox marked in green in the image below to always run it as administrator so that you don't have to right click it and choosing run as administrator every time. Click apply then Ok to close the properties dialog.

Whether you choose to set compatibility settings yourself or to let Windows do it for you through the compatibility assistant, the installation will now be run in an XP-like environment, but that doesn't mean it always works for software/drivers meant for XP or any other older version of Windows, so if that options fails as well, I doubt there's any other option to try with your CD. I would rather use all that effort setting up HP UPD which in my opinion is way simpler and straight-forward than all these XP-Vista-drivers-in-Windows-Seven stuff you are trying out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.