Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Printer Support

HP Printer not communicating with computer

This is a discussion on HP Printer not communicating with computer within the Printer Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey everyone, I have an HP 3000 deskjet printer and am running Windows Vista. After recently uninstalling and reinstalling my

Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey everyone, I have an HP 3000 deskjet printer and am running Windows Vista. After recently uninstalling and reinstalling my printer software, I am unable to print from my computer. I have tried printing using the USB connection, as well as over the wireless network to no avail. The software was installed sucessfully and the printer is connected to the wireless network successfully as well. I don't think the problem is with the USB cord because the USB cord works properlly during installation. I can print a test page from the printer itself, but when I send the command to print from my computer, nothing happens. Like I said everything was working fine before I uninstalled and reinstalled the software. I have tried uninstalling and reinsalling several times, and have browsed other similar threads looking for solutions. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Old 12-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Moderator - Networking

what are the IP address the printer is using
and from a PC post an ipconfig /all - see below
then try and PING the printer IP - see below

Do you only have one PC on the network
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

This should also work for windows 8
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

Ping Tests

Start> Run {search bar in Vista/W7}> type CMD to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

For Windows 8
to open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

Type the following command
Ping {then a space and then the number that is shown against the printer IPaddress}
Post back the results in a reply here
right click in the command prompt box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

etaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

I've found that on the odd occasion after reinstalling my printer and it doesn't work, I either have to manually input the SSID shared key into the printer control panel or download the drivers HP Deskjet 3000 Printer series - J310*-* Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center even though I've assigned a static IP address to the printer.

Either may resolve for you.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

Well the first thing I tried from your suggestions was downloading the drivers directly from the website and it worked!! I really appreciate your help Tomken I had been working on reinstalling for like a week. Thanks etaf I was gonna try your suggestions if Tomkens didnt work. Thanks again!!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Glad that worked out for you and thanks for the update.

I know what a chew it can be - uninstalling/reinstalling a printer to try and resolve a printer problem.

I hit on my driver solution to the problem because the Epsom install software (of its time) had a conflict with Win7 and during the install process, it had to search online for the patch.

On one of these reinstalls, it didn't do that so I went to the support site and downloaded the full package and ended up like you

If you don't have any further problems, then you can use the Thread Tools dropdown to Mark the Thread as Solved.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Well you beat me to it but with HP Printers which always have major software problems, I never use any disks the client has and always download the newest driver.

Great why not mark this solved in the first post under "Thread Tools" in the first post.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is online now   Reply With Quote