There is a fix for this problem on the HP support site. I had the same problem with my HP psc 2410 photosmart all-in-one. I ended up spending 3 days on the phone with HP. It has to do with .NET Framework in XP after the SP2 update. We got mine working perfectly, but it did take some doing. I had to do downloads from Microsoft support, then HP support. All the docs are at HP Support to work you through it. The problem is that it effects different HP printers differently. If you go to HP's Support
and put in your specific model # you will eventually get to the fix. It's in their knowledge base which is massive. Hope this helps!