Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Printer Support

Hp C4280 printer says print cartridges not detected or missing

This is a discussion on Hp C4280 printer says print cartridges not detected or missing within the Printer Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Printer was out of ink. I have bought two cartridges and my printer still says print cartridge missing or not

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Printer was out of ink. I have bought two cartridges and my printer still says print cartridge missing or not detected. What can it be?

Old 09-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Folding Along

Send a message via AIM to gistek Send a message via Skype™ to gistek

Most common reasons:

1. Didn't remove protective tape on cartridge.
2. Didn't properly seat cartridge.
3. Contacts on carriage need to be cleaned.

If it's 3, sometimes you can clean them by cleaning the contacts on the old "empty" cartridges, then installing/removing them a few times. The time I had to do this, I used a pre-moistened eyeglass cleaning sheet, and allowed the cleaned cartridge to dry before doing the install/remove cycle.

I am not a computer professional, My advice comes from personal experience and/or friends who are computer professionals. Interested in Search and Rescue? Check out the Civil Air Patrol. Come Fold with us. TSF Folding@Home Team
Old 10-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

What's probably happening is there is excess ink on caked on to the contacts on the carriage (I think that's what they're called). They're pretty easy to clean and the cleaning process takes about a minute. Just remove whatever cartridges are in the printer, take a cloth that will leave a minimal amount of lint, and wipe at the dark spongey contacts located just below where the cartridges would sit (that is, on my HP C4280, as other models might have them somewhere slightly different, but they should be right around the cartridges' spot). When the caked on ink is removed and all you are wiping at is the sponge, insert the new cartridge and the printer should work.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

thanks to zigcomplete, now the printer work perfectly
Old 05-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigcomplete View Post
What's probably happening is there is excess ink on caked on to the contacts on the carriage (I think that's what they're called). They're pretty easy to clean and the cleaning process takes about a minute. Just remove whatever cartridges are in the printer, take a cloth that will leave a minimal amount of lint, and wipe at the dark spongey contacts located just below where the cartridges would sit (that is, on my HP C4280, as other models might have them somewhere slightly different, but they should be right around the cartridges' spot). When the caked on ink is removed and all you are wiping at is the sponge, insert the new cartridge and the printer should work.
I have cleaned the caked on ink on the bottom of the carriage and just underneath the cartridges but the message persists... should I also clean the cartridge itself? It's a practically new cartridge so I'd rather not buy a new one especially as I'm not sure if the printer will work. Thanks for any help you can provide me with.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Registered Member

Same problem with my HP and I just bought a new HP black cartridge.
Any other suggestions for resolving the missing or not detected message?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to masterjed Send a message via MSN to masterjed Send a message via Skype™ to masterjed

Please press and hold the Power button and the Cancel button simultaneously for 2 to 3 secs. If asked for a special key combo, please press Blue, Green and Gray. Navigate the menu using Blue (arrow UP), Gray (arrow down), Green (Ok button). Look for reset menu using the color button above and under reset menu, look for semi-full reset and press OK.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 AM   #8
Registered Member

Check where the ink is installed, the pin that holds it in might be broken.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
Registered Member

I had this problem, thats how I found this site. I managed to fix it!!!
I registered to let you know.
1 - Hold the power and cancel button down (X)
2 - When it say enter special key combo press Blue, Green then Grey.
3 - Press BLUE again, now it says information menu.
4 - Press GREEN then GREY, now it says "checksum for relock data"
5 - Press GREEN again!!!
6 - Kiss my face :)
Old 10-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

I have a HP C4250 all in one printer with a problem with the printer telling me that the cartridge is not detected or missing. I know there is a thread for a C4280 model with the same problem but the codes may be different or the C 4250. What do I do to fix it. Thanks Wes
Old 10-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
Registered Member

I have a HP C4250 all in one printer that is telling me that the cartridge is not detected or missing. I know there is a thread for a c4280 model but it probably used different codes for mine. any help for me? thanks, Wes
Old 10-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to masterjed Send a message via MSN to masterjed Send a message via Skype™ to masterjed

Please create you owm thread. Thanks
Old 10-24-2009, 04:23 AM   #13
Registered Member

You may have to take "step 6" back again. The printer is working but the software is now behaving strangely. Ill repost when it makes sense.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzzy View Post
I had this problem, thats how I found this site. I managed to fix it!!!
I registered to let you know.
3 - Press BLUE again, now it says information menu.
4 - Press GREEN then GREY, now it says "checksum for relock data"
5 - Press GREEN again!!!
6 - Kiss my face :)
Hi there. Thanks for the advice. I followed it and "checksum for relock data" gave me the number 41395. Nothing else happened. The same message appeared that the cartridge is damaged or absent. I just think that HP inkjets are bad products. Thanks for trying to help out. Much appreciated.
Niki
Old 11-02-2009, 05:14 AM   #15
Registered Member

I concur that the HP C4280 is junk.
Tried all the suggestion but nothing changed. It lasted about two years and
the crapped out on me.
Any recommendations on a more reliable all-in-one printer?
Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #16
Registered Member

Personally I will opt out for a Brother MFC-7220 Laser Multi-Function Center ideal for home or home office business needs due to its compact size and full functionality. It doesn’t sacrifice anything since it offers high-quality laser printing, copying, scanning, faxing and PC Fax. Also, its 20-page auto document feeder is convenient for copying, scanning or faxing multi-page documents.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

3 - Press BLUE again twice, now it says resets menu.
4 - Press the OK button and press blue twice to get to semi-full reset
5 - Press OK for semi-full reset, printer should shutdown. Wait for 30 secs before turning it back on using the power button and follow the prompts to set the language and the country. If this won't work, then you need to replace cartridges.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #18
Registered Member

I had the same problem that popped up with perfectly good cartridges. HP says to unplug the printer for 30 seconds to reset. Did that, no luck. I cleaned the cartridge contacts several times and followed instructions from Zigcomplete, cleaning the cartridge contact area in the printer. I did that three times with no success. But I then used a can of compressed air and blew out the area where the cartridges plug in. Viola! success.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

That's great. It must have been the contacts of the printers where the cartridges are plugged into. :-)
Old 11-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #20
Registered Member

I must be the last man on the planet that can't get this printer to work.
Tried all the suggestions---nada.
I did get one odd message in the menu window saying the 74 black cartridge was incompatible. But it is an HP 74 cartridge which this C4280 uses, So, I am shopping for a new printer and it won't be an HP. I can't even get anyone from HP on the phone.