Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Printer Support

How do I re-set my refillable ink cartridges?

This is a discussion on How do I re-set my refillable ink cartridges? within the Printer Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi... Can anyone out there give me some advice please?. I have an Epsom Stylus SX130 printer.... I have always

Old 11-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Hi... Can anyone out there give me some advice please?. I have an Epsom Stylus SX130 printer.... I have always bought compatible ink cartridges for the printer but because it is becoming a bit expensive I thought that I would opt for the refillable cartridges..... the first time that I filled them and used them everything was fine.... however, the ink in them didn't last very long and my printer shows error messages that they are all empty...... I have refilled them again (this is only the second time but I have used almost a complete bottle of ink on each one!!)...... when I put the cartridges back, however, my printer doesn't recognize them... I have carried out all the advice which I have found here and there including taking the cartridges out of the printer and then unplugging the printer and leaving for about 10 minutes before re-installing the cartridges.... I have also (gently) wiped the 'green' chip area with a soft cloth etc.. and I have even uninstalled the printer etc and re-installed it!... My printer still doesn't accept the cartridges and they are full to the brim (the air-holes are open etc..).... someone mentioned that the ink cartridges 'chips' have to be re-set?.... how do I do this? Your help would be much appreciated......

Old 11-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Enthusiast

Yes, you have to use a "chip resetter" which resets the ink level information on the chip back to "full". You can buy the chip resetter tool online. Just type Ink cartridge chip resetter into Google Search and you'll get loads of results back.

The chip resetter is not universal. You must make sure it's compatible with your printer model before ordering. The vendors' websites will show you which resetter is for which models.

Unless you are a heavy user of printer ink though, I don't consider it worth the hassle. I certainly wouldn't recommend refilling carts with generic ink if you print photographs and demand high quality results. I print photos regularly and once tried refill ink for the job. The results compared to genuine Canon inks were horrendous so I definitely won't be doing that again.