Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Printer Support

Does printing in grayscale save toner?

This is a discussion on Does printing in grayscale save toner? within the Printer Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have recently bought a Samsung CLP-315 Colour laser printer. Some people say that by selecting 'grayscale' rather than 'colour'

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have recently bought a Samsung CLP-315 Colour laser printer.

Some people say that by selecting 'grayscale' rather than 'colour' in the driver settings will save colour toner, as it will only use black. Others say this isn't true, and it will still use the colour toners to mix the gray.

Also, there is an option to "Print all text to black" or "print all text to darken".
Darken seems to be the default. Does changing this to "black" make the printer use only black ink, or doesn't it make any difference, and all cartidges get used what ever the settings?

There doesn't appear to be a "use black cartridge only" option in the drivers, as there appears to be with some printers.

I would appreciate your thoughts - I am just trying to cut down the amount of toner I use, sice mono is good enough most of the time.