Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Printer Support

Dell A940 Printer not printing

This is a discussion on Dell A940 Printer not printing within the Printer Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have Dell computer, Windows XP 98 Home Edition and A940 printer, circa 2002. The printer stopped printing, and also

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have Dell computer, Windows XP 98 Home Edition and A940 printer, circa 2002. The printer stopped printing, and also won't copy. There have been no error messages and the printer shows that the cartridges are almost full. Through printer troubleshooting I was able to print out a complete test page and black and color printing was fine. I have turned the printer off, unplugged it totally, waited, put it all back together, taken out and replaced the printer cartridges, run a test alignment which was partially successful, but then it wont copy a page I put on the screen, or print a document. I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it, turning everything off as necessary. The printer "thinks" it's printing out but the pages are blank....and yet that troubleshooting test page was fine. I am using a refilled Series 2 black cartridge and an original Dell color cartridge. Any ideas?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to alfredjr18 Send a message via Yahoo to alfredjr18 Send a message via Skype™ to alfredjr18
Confused

I can think of two things. One, did you remove the sticker on the
air hole of the cartridge. Yellow usually. If not probably a dried cartridge
or a clogged cartridge. There is a youtube video here
http://www.youtube.com/printcountry#p/u or you can use this
http://www.printcountry.com/troubleshooting-guide.asp to help you.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your suggestion. I shall check out the youtube video's you mentioned. In the meantime a friend ran a test and was able to print out in red, so he suggested that I replace the black cartridge - the one that had been refilled. I went to Staples, bought a new Dell cartridge, and now my printer works fine. I spent more than 3 hours trying to get my printer to work and it turned out to be the cartridge! I hadnt thought it would be that because I was able to print out the Dell troubleshooting test page in color and black without problems.
I have not had much luck using refilled cartridges. On some occasions they work fine, some they work for a while, and some wont even work to print one page. Guess I shall stick with Dell cartridges from now on and accept that I have to pay 3 times as much...$32.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to alfredjr18 Send a message via Yahoo to alfredjr18 Send a message via Skype™ to alfredjr18

Good to hear that good luck..
Old 05-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

This is the problem with the refilled cartridges which i always seen.There is no guarantee on refilled cartridges that for how much time it will work.Some time it will work for a month or some time dried in three or four days.
So it is a better decision to go for an OEM cartridge.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

i have same printer, bought refill ones, same problem thats why i will never buy refils agian. found that out the hard way. the printer itself is a great printer.