Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Printer Support

cleaning Canon Pixma MX870 printer

This is a discussion on cleaning Canon Pixma MX870 printer within the Printer Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The fat black pigment ink cartridge stopped printing after ignorantly refilling it with dye ink. Now, I want to clean

Old 05-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

The fat black pigment ink cartridge stopped printing after ignorantly refilling it with dye ink. Now, I want to clean the print head. No.1: how do I get the cover to open wide for better access to the interior. No. 2: how do I get the ink cartridge carrier to stop in the center (accessibility, again) to remove the ink cartridges and work on it. I've read about cleaning the print head with q-tips. Also about removing the print head piece so it can be soaked in a pan of warm water. (Did someone mention denatured alcohol?) And there's also a piece under the print head that may benefit from some cleaning. I have two new sets of Canon compatible cartridges from Abacus -- and new refill ink from Inksmarts. The previous cartridges (including the non-printing black) have been refilled several times before with no problem. Also, I have a chip resetter.

Thanks for your help.

This printer was chosen because it had individual tanks for each ink color and because others reported successfully refilling them.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Typically, you simply open the access lid and the carrier will self center for cartridge access.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Moderator Offline

Hi and welcome to TSF

They do make cleaning cartilages that claim to clean print heads. Do a google search for yours. Do they work? Never tried one, but soaking the print head has never worked for me and I have tried several different things
with my Canon printers.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

i have tried to clean mine mp160, i ended up scrwing more.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

But mine was an inkjet, it's like inkjets are disposables, they are extremelly fragile.