Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't print on network printer

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  chinmoy sanyal 
#1 ·
I just got a new computer which I'm trying to connect to my home network printer. It is a Lexmark 5270 all in one printer. All my other computers including the one which the printer is attached to have windows xp and they all work fine. My new computer has windows 7 64 bit. I am able to locate the printer on the network. I downloaded a driver for it from Lexmark's website. However, the only driver they seemed to have was for Vista 64 bit, but that driver did seem to work for me. I was able to connect to the printer after installing the driver, and everything seems like it's connected and working. However, when I try to print, I get an error saying problem communicating with printer. I'm not sure what else to try, it's probably something really obvious that I'm missing. Can anybody please help me out?

#2 ·
It will be the driver that's not compatible with Windows 7.

Not all Vista drivers will work properly on Windows 7 -- some, but not all.
You'll either have to get a new printer that's supported on Windows 7 (ie has a Windows 7 driver) or wait until Lexmark release a Windows 7 driver for your existing printer.

You might have a long wait since all printer manufacturer's have a habit of abandoning some older models when new drivers are written. Lexmark might never release any new drivers for yours. It depends how old that model is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.