Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROTHER MFC 7400C Black Ink lock out

36K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  mperdomoj 
#1 ·
Dear Listers,

The Brother MultiFunction Center is a combo FAX and color printer - copier that I have attached to my computer. I just checked the BLACK due to the fact that I have a long run to print.

I removed the black and looked at it and put it back in.

NOW AND FOREVER I keep getting "BLACK INK OUT"

I have removed and replaced this Black 20 times BUT still will not accept it. I got a new Black and it too is not accepted.

Any ideas? I am stuck. Needed it yesterday.

HELP!!!!

BILL NEILL.

#4 · (Edited)
The sensor is located in your PCB Carriage housing (Ink cartridge housing). It may be dirty. You may be able to clean the sensor using a ink cleaning solution and a "Q" Tip. It should be where the Black Ink cartridge is inserted (on the lower side). Do not use an alcohol base solution it may damage the sensor. You can also use Simple Green (slightly diluted) if you do not have an ink cleaning solution. If this does not work it may be a faulty or damaged sensor and the sensor will have to be replaced.
Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out.
Thanks,
Bill

#6 ·
The sensor works like an X-ray. It can sense that a Ink cartridge is Full or somewhat used depending on the input you state when it is removed and reinserted. They are very sensitive (dirt, ink spillage, scratches on the cartride, even a piece of hair can cause error).Try cleaning again.
Being it is part of the Ink carriage and cleaning it does not resolve the problem. It would be (IMO) to take it to a repair facility. It may be cheaper to just buy a knew AIO. Have you used an original cartridge (Black) or did you refill the old? Refills (or after Market) and not original Brothers may also cause this problem. You stated that you replaced this with a new one. Was it a New Brother ink cartridge. If it was , it sounds like the sensor bit the dust.
I know of no way to Bypass or fool it.
Sorry,
Bill
Sorry I could not be of more help.

#7 ·
Don't know about the MFC7400C .....but, after researching for my MFC210C...I found that my problem of a "Black near empty" signal and the printer locking up was due to its internal memory and a reset, try the following: 1)open the printer, 2) remove the offending cartridge. 3) pull the a/c plug of the printer while leaving the printer lid open. 4) reinstall the ink cartridge. reinsert the a/c plug of the printer. 5)shut the cover and when prompted on the display, input the code number for "yes, cartridge replaced". The ink level will be reset to full and the printer will self clean and become operative again. Prior to this I tried the black tape on the back of the cartridge bit to fool the sensor to no avail.

#8 ·
1)open the printer, 2) remove the offending cartridge. 3) pull the a/c plug of the printer while leaving the printer lid open. 4) reinstall the ink cartridge. reinsert the a/c plug of the printer. 5)shut the cover and when prompted on the display, input the code number for "yes, cartridge replaced". The ink level will be reset to full and the printer will self clean and become operative again. Prior to this I tried the black tape on the back of the cartridge bit to fool the sensor to no avail.
Wow. Thanks so much. :pray: My MFC-440CN kept saying no black ink after replacing the cartridge. I tried a 2nd new cartridge to no avail. Unplugged it, cleaned it (with alcohol which I now know is bad), still didn't work. I was contemplating having it serviced or just replacing it.
I followed joepags instructions and worked like a charm. I also had the top of the printer as well as the ink door open in step 1. I don't know if this was necessary, but that's the only thing I did differently.
I am using generic inks.
Thanks again for posting.
-NC

#9 · (Edited)
I have a Brother MC 440 CN with the same problem that you cite. No cartridge or ink out shows up on lcd. None of the proceures of unplugging, opening this and that door worked. This message showed up only with the black ink comparment. The sensor which is in the shape of a horseshoe, an open square, at the back of the compartment is the problem. So I disabled the sensor by breaking off the plastic horseshoe and pushing the wire sensor to the side. Now I can print but I know that the computer is giving a false reading of how much ink is in the black cartridge.

It would be advisable to try the unplug-cartridge removal procedure first.

#11 ·
My Brother MFC 440CN completely locked up when it came time to change the black ink cartridge. Been using compatiable since I bought the machine a year ago. Of course, craps out 5 days out of warrenty.

Like may of you, I tried multiple "new" ink cartriges with no success. I cleaned the U shaped sensors, tried blocking with tape as suggested, no success. At the end of my rope, I decided it was time for surgery as explained by kouse 51's June 26, 2008 post. Grabbed my pliers and pulled off the U Shaped sensor for all 4 ink colors which exposes the two light sensors. Pulled them off and clipped the remaining wires back and guess what, the damn thing works again! Lost the ability to see ink level (always reads full), but I am printing as before with my ink that costs 5 times less than from Brother.:smile: When I see the printing colors fade, I'll know it is time to change a color cartridge.

#12 ·
Re: BROTHER MFC Ink sensors

My solution to fool ink sensors on Brother MFC all-in-one printers.
This worked on my MFC-240C, others might be similar if not the same.
See attached images
1.Remove the control panel (just 3 screws under top lid)
2.Locate and unplug the connector with 9 wires (labeled "cartridges" on the circuit card)
3.Disconnect only the center wire (5th cable from either end)
4.Reconnect the the 9 wire connector
5.Close the lids and restart the printer
All ink levels show full...
FREEDOM AT LAST!

Attachments

#14 ·
Re: BROTHER MFC Ink sensors

My solution to fool ink sensors on Brother MFC all-in-one printers.
This worked on my MFC-240C, others might be similar if not the same.
See attached images
1.Remove the control panel (just 3 screws under top lid)
2.Locate and unplug the connector with 9 wires (labeled "cartridges" on the circuit card)
3.Disconnect only the center wire (5th cable from either end)
4.Reconnect the the 9 wire connector
5.Close the lids and restart the printer
All ink levels show full...
FREEDOM AT LAST!
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww, This one work fine. mine is MFC-440CN
Thanks,

#13 ·
Cano14....I don't know how you figured out that cutting wire#5 bypasses the ink sensors but it works perfectly. I've tried the well publicized tape-over-the-cartridge-window trick which worked initially but eventually I was stymied by a permanent "no cartridge" error. In 3 minutes your incredibly easy procedure has restored my MFC-240 to complete functionality although I will have to keep a watchful eye on ink levels. I take my hat off!

#16 ·
MFC 240-puzzled with same ink BS until I found this solution. THANK YOU!! Additional information for the fit-it challanged-include only the one large plug with white wires when you're counting........do not include the other 2-2wire plugs. I ended up using jewelers needle nose pliers to pull the #5 wire out-vs unplugging the 9 wire plug from the board. Thanks again.

#19 ·
I want to thank you so much. I have been trying to fix the lock out problem for three weeks. I bought a lot of new ink cartridges, both generic and Brother for my Brother MFC-665CW and did all the other stuff recommended - to no avail. Talk about frustration!! I came across your solution and snipped the fifth wire (thanks for the photo link). The cleaning cycle came on (finally) and I held my breath - YES, it started printing!!!!! You are a genius. Thank you for saving my sanity and money (I was going to buy a new printer).:3angel2: Happy Valentine's Day to you.

#22 ·
:wave:

THIS REALLY WORKED! I have a MFC-240C and the printer wouldn't work until I replaced the ink cartridges with full ones but I'll be cow kicked by a mule it seriously works! Now my ink levels read full SWEET!

I don't know how you figured that out but I can not thank you enough! :pray:

#24 ·
How great is this? Thank you for suggestion on cutting the wire, and the helpful pics. It worked on my MFC685...I was about to go get a new printer today after I tried removing the ink sensors, to no avail. I figured I already messed with the machine and why not take it further, and I cut that 5th wire. WOW was I happy. Just want to say thanks....

#28 ·
It worked on my MFC 665CW. Although I already bought an HP because of this problem, I did not trash my Brother unit. I knew there was a fix, I just didn't have much time to work on it. After much searching on the web, I found this site and I'm glad I did. This is the second time this has happened. I sent it in for repair last year and it cost almost as much as a new one (board was replaced). Thanks so much. :pray:

#30 ·
I have a mfc-240c and was having trouble with the machine not even detecting black cartridge. As a tip from another site I lifted the scanner glass portion up, and removed the 3 screws at the top of controls. I then clipped the 5th wire on the 9 pin white wires plug that is attached to the circuit board. This disables the sensors and the machine works fine now. You just have to replace ink when it starts to fade

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.