Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Printer Support

Brother MFC 420CN Won't print

This is a discussion on Brother MFC 420CN Won't print within the Printer Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I went to the Brother site. I downloaded the LPR driver first for the debian, (Using Ubuntu 8.04) and installed

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

I went to the Brother site. I downloaded the LPR driver first for the debian, (Using Ubuntu 8.04) and installed that. Then I downloaded the CUPS driver, and installed that. The printer is recognized, and the print command brings up the printer, allows me to select the properties and everything. But when I print out of the OpenOffice Word Processor, it goes into the motion of printing, but then gives me a "Error while Printing" Error. I have downloaded and re-installed the drivers a number of times with no success at all.

I would like to know what I am doing wrong. The printer is a Brother MFC 420CN. It works fine in Windows XP.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

my problem is about the same. When I send a print job, I can see the message on the printer lcd display which says 'recieving data', but it quickly dissappears. I have had this printer working on ubuntu 8.04 before. I had originally installed the cups wrapper and driver on ubuntu 7.04. I upgraded to 8.04 and the printer continued to work. However, I recieved a kernal upgrade which disabled my entire os, so I had to start over. I installed ubuntu 8.04 on a different computer, using the downloaded distro iso, which I burned to cd. This is where I'm at now. I've installed the driver and the cups wrapper, but it still won't print. I can dual boot into windows 7 rc1, and the printer works fine on the same machine. Any ideas. It seems that I read somewhere that there is a small glitch with ubuntu 8.04.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
I helped the forums.

Send a message via MSN to godspeeed

I will be looking into it for you, give me 1-2 days.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
I helped the forums.

Send a message via MSN to godspeeed

Please make sure that you installed the lpr and cupswrapper then try this below, it should fix it.

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...faq-2.html#143

Ubuntu 8.04 does not have /usr/share/cups/model directory where our driver create a ppd file.
Please follow the instruction below when the installation failed with the message about it.

---

1. Uninstall the cupswrapper driver.
Command : sudo dpkg -P (driver name)

2. Create /usr/share/cups/model directory
Command : sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model

3. Install the cupswrapper driver
Command : sudo dpkg -i --force-all --force-architecture (driver file name)

---

Let me know if it helps!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

godspeed, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, but I have taken the Brother to work, literally. I purchased a LexMark X6575, with the hope that I could get it to work with linux. Alas, although wireless and nice it will not do linux. I am still checking into it for now. If I want to print anything, I need to switch over to Windows and do it with.. .. .. m-m-m-M-M-M .. darn, I have a hard time even saying it, I dislike it that much. But it will do everything I need in the printing arena. So... that is where I find myself for printing. The linux system is weird. I keep getting "Authentication failed" every time I try to do something... But I do thank thee for your wisdom and insight. Joe