Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Wireless issues with a Pavillion dv9000

This is a discussion on Wireless issues with a Pavillion dv9000 within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My wireless connection is sporadically going down. There are some odd factors though. occasionally, it'll disconnect from the network, and

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

My wireless connection is sporadically going down.

There are some odd factors though. occasionally, it'll disconnect from the network, and when I search for networks, it can't find any (which could theoretically be bad reception, but I can assure you that isn't the issue, as I could set the laptop next to the router and it wouldn't work)

Also, it occasionally drops the connection, and then, when I search for networks, it finds my home network. When I click on the router it says that it couldnt connect, and diagnostics are basically useless...to a degree. They don't really fix the problem.

All of these issues are immeadiately resolved by Hibernation or restarting the computer, but yet again, these feel like workarounds. I should also note that, although I am unsure if this has anything to do with powersaving options or not, this occurs wheather or not the laptop is plugged in. It also seems to happen most often, but not always, when I am running fullscreen online games or applications (America's Army and Second Life are two culprits that I can think of off the top).

Thank you very much for your help
KFJ

PS

It's a broadcom 802.11 a/b/g
and as far as I know, it has updated drivers. I've also tried to rollback to no avail

Old 12-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

do you have issues with the laptop next to the wireless router?

Old 12-29-2007, 02:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, it isn't about reception
Old 12-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

"Check" to make sure you have the latest wireless drivers. I had problems with my Dell laptop wireless but tech support pointed me to the drivers and fixed it.

If that does not fix it, then check the brand of your router, then check for a website for tech support. I have dealt with routers before and you have to have them configured right.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

I checked out the tech support on my router (a WRT54g) and updated my drivers. And of course, the problem isn't fixed (happened again overnight).

Any other ideas?
Old 01-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

I had a problem like this with my HP Pavilion dv6125SE laptop that is running XP Media center the wireless card it has in it is a Broadcom 4321AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter. it did would connect and then disconnect on its own I ended up downloading updates for the wireless card from Hp's website and that helped but over time it worked its self out. not long after that the computer crashed because of some software issues but even after the system restore and system bios updated I have had no problems with it. It might just work itself out over time or there is a driver problem check for updates agian. thats about all I can help you with.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Ked
Registered Member

I am having an identical problem with an HP Pavillion DV6000 runing Vista Home.

I have updated the broadcom wireless drivers to the latest available on the HP site but the wireless connection i still sporadic at best.

Like the OP, distance is not the problem, I can be working right next to the router and the wireless will drop between 15 and 30 minutes of use, sometimes a little longer.

I have 2 other laptops that connect to my router with no problem (a Dell and a Toshiba).

Once it dies it wont come back until a reboot.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Ked