Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Will WinXP Pro 64-bit run on a Lenovo X-61 ?

This is a discussion on Will WinXP Pro 64-bit run on a Lenovo X-61 ? within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-67777.html It "sort of" mentions 64-bit O/S, but doesn't say explicitly one way or the other. Memory 512MB, 1GB, or

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #1

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-67777.html

It "sort of" mentions 64-bit O/S, but doesn't say explicitly one way or the other.

Quote:
Memory 512MB, 1GB, or 2GB and supports up to 4GB maximum memory
Note: Only 64-bit operating systems support more than 3GB of system memory (RAM). Intel Chipsets 945GM and 945PM do not support more than 3GB system memory (RAM), even when a 64-bit operating system is installed.
Also, secondary question:

It's my understanding that the MS EULA allows an Operating System to be installed on one Desktop and one "mobile" (laptop) computer.

Is this correct ?

Old 10-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #2

Bump.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

That processor contains 64 bit instruction set so it should run a 64 bit OS. That laptop, to the best of my knowledge, has the GM965 chip set. According to Intel, the chipset supports up to 4GB DDR2 SDRAM.

The M$ EULA for Retail copies of Windows allows the installation on one computer at a time. Attached is a copy of said EULA.

OEM copies of Windows may only be installed on the original computer the software was shipped with.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinzach View Post
That processor contains 64 bit instruction set so it [bold]should[/BOLD] run a 64 bit OS. That laptop, to the best of my knowledge, has the GM965 chip set. According to Intel, the chipset supports up to 4GB DDR2 SDRAM.

I'm about to get paid to downgrade an X-61 from Vista to XP Pro 64-bit, so if possible I'd like something a little more reliable than "should".

Is the processor the only thing that determines whether or not a machine can run 64-bit. How does the GM965 factor in on whether or not the X-61 can run 64-bit ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

The computer has everything that is necessary for a 64 bit OS. I have installed 64 bit 7 on older processors than the Core Solo. The should was only because I have never, personally, installed a 64 bit OS on that particular chipset and processor.

Also, it seems that Lenovo isn't supporting 64bit OSs for that machine, so you may have issues finding compatible drivers.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #6

Thanks, where are you finding these (I assume) links. All I could find was basic specs.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

I just did a little searching around.

Hee is a link to the Lenovo Support Driver Page for X61

Closed Thread
Gear in this thread