Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Which laptop brand is better for gaming, Toshiba, HP, or DELL?

This is a discussion on Which laptop brand is better for gaming, Toshiba, HP, or DELL? within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm planning on buying a gaming laptop, and I've been saving money for more than 2 years to buy it,

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I'm planning on buying a gaming laptop, and I've been saving money for more than 2 years to buy it, so you can imagine how much It's important for me to know which laptop to buy, cause I'd be very upset to find out my laptop doesn't play games well and that 2 years of saving money were all for nothing just because I made a bad decision at the last moment.

Please just answer the question if you really know what you're talking about, I tried a different forum before, and instead of answers all I got was rants about how laptops are not meant for gaming and that I should buy a desktop computer, and if I search the web with google I find that everyone just gives their own opinion about which laptop is the best based on their experience(as in "I have this _____ laptop and it works great, you should get it!").

Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 64bit Professional (SP1), Windows 8.1 64bit

My System

I would recommend Dell or ASUS because IMO they make the best laptops. Dell makes outstanding and long lasting laptops. There great for gaming when you need to play on High settings but in return act as a Home laptop for internet browsing. ASUS is about being small, light, strong and super fast. Their laptops are a little bit more expencive then others but worth it.

If you look around this forum and ask other Hardware Tech a lot of them will advice to stay away from HP. Why? Well they tend to fall part and break. There not very good gaming computers and only good for light home use. They also come with a ton of bloatware.

What is your budget and I can post back with two laptops that I would recommend.

Intel, NVidia, Xbox One, Android, Gigabyte
Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

$1300-$1400, that's what I can spend
And what about Toshiba? The Qosmio Gaming laptop sounds superb
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Qosmio is crap compared to Alienware or Asus G series, in my opinion..
Samsung NP550P5C-i7 3610QM|630m|8Gb|1TB
Samsung NP305U1A-E450|4Gb|SSD128Gb
Try Harder!
Old 03-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

My System

Here are the two I would recommend for you:

The Dell XPS 17+ 3D
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

or

ASUS G73SW

Asus - G53SW-XA1 15.6" LED Notebook - Intel Core i7 i7-2630QM 2 GHz - Black - G53SW-XA1

Specs: ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS G73SW
Old 03-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

I hope you're not just giving your own personal opinions without really looking at any studies or statistics, cause I'll be buying my laptop based on the advice given in this thread.
I just have to add that the ASUS looks terrible, the video card will be extremely throttled by the low 2.0 GHz CPU speed, so the laptop won't even come near to be able to use it's 1.5 GB graphics card to the max. I already have an old laptop with a 512 MB ATI graphics unit, and with a 2.2 GHz dual core CPU, and I must say that the low CPU speed has constantly affected gameplay, and now you expect me to buy a laptop with an even lower CPU speed?
That's the problem with people, they think that for gaming everything revolves around the graphics card, and that the rest is unimportant. 2.0 GHz does not even meet the minimum requirement of modern games.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:22 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn2day View Post
Qosmio is crap compared to Alienware or Asus G series, in my opinion..
Most people just think Alienware is better cause it has shiny lights.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
Registered Member

BTW that Dell build Masterchief gave you is pretty good. The CPU is a quadcore hyperthreaded 2.4GHZ with turbo mode. It seems all good to me :)
Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

There are no games that use 4 cores. Most games use either 1 or 2 cores. So as far as the game is concerned, it only sees one 2.4GHz CPU core while it's demanding 3GHz to run properly. I'd rather get a dual core 3GHz CPU than one a those expensive futuristic cutting edge 8 core 2Ghz CPUs that are worthless when it comes to gaming.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

lol. I think for gaming the most important is a graphics card, not how many cores you have, but might just be the shinny lights blind sighting me (even if i preffer Asus G-Series casing and cooling system by a a mile away)..
Try Harder!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBM-man View Post
Most people just think Alienware is better cause it has shiny lights.
When you buy an Alienware your buying the name. For example if you buy the top Alienware vs the top Dell XPS, the XPS is $200 cheaper.

If you didn't like those teo laptops then you could look at this other ASUS:
ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS G74SX

Same processor but don't forget that you'll be able to TurboBoost it to 2.9GHz.

What is your current computer now?

The reason I don't choose the Qosmio is because they only have two different types. A 15in screen and a 17in.

Toshiba Qosmio® Laptop Computers | us.toshiba.com
Old 03-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
When you buy an Alienware your buying the name. For example if you buy the top Alienware vs the top Dell XPS, the XPS is $200 cheaper.

If you didn't like those teo laptops then you could look at this other ASUS:
ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS G74SX

Same processor but don't forget that you'll be able to TurboBoost it to 2.9GHz.

What is your current computer now?

The reason I don't choose the Qosmio is because they only have two different types. A 15in screen and a 17in.

Toshiba Qosmio® Laptop Computers | us.toshiba.com
You still don't get it, you're just looking at the graphics card and ignoring everything else. What use is a ridiculously huge 3GB graphics card if it will be severely throttled by the a CPU?
And My current Laptop has a 2.2Ghz dual core CPU and a 512 MB ATI GPU, and the slow CPU(which can reach 3.1 GHz at turboboost) is still too slow to play games like CoD Black Ops.

Maybe the Qosmio only has 2 different types cause they're so good that they don't need to make any others?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

So you made your choice. Congrats. Please close thread.
Try Harder!
Old 04-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Pretty much Laptop=Limited gaming capability. They are just not meant for it.
Dell/Alienware==same thing, both crap
Asus...don't know, have an Asus desktop, never used their laptops

Toshiba...LOVE their laptops but still don't know how good they are for gaming...
the main problem is that most laptops have integrated graphics cards which just can't handle gaming needs.

Don't know if this really helps, I've never used a laptop for gaming, probably never will.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn2day View Post
So you made your choice. Congrats. Please close thread.
No I haven't. I'm still waiting for advice from someone who really knows stuff about laptops, perhaps a laptop repair guy who's seen all of their capabilities; all I got up till now is random people giving me their OWN opinions based on their gaming experience with their OWN laptop.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

If you would relax your attitude and quit insulting folks who are trying to answer you, I would bet you might well attract the comments you are looking for. No one wants to give of their free time to someone who doesn't respect opposing views.
You have heard that laptops are generally not suggested for gaming because most of them have onboard video and whether you wish to agree or not, I would doubt anyone here is going to jump into this thread to receive your abuse when your opinion is off the mainstream.
The issue isn't brand name its which laptops have video card options where you can upgrade the video card so why not just search for those and go from there.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

My System

Quote:
No I haven't. I'm still waiting for advice from someone who really knows stuff about laptops, perhaps a laptop repair guy who's seen all of their capabilities; all I got up till now is random people giving me their OWN opinions based on their gaming experience with their OWN laptop.
Just so you know I have owned Dell's, Toshiba's and HP's. I have also used many others. What I have given you are laptops that I would buy and recommend to people.

A 2.9 GHz should handle a 3GB Graphics card. If you wish to wait for others to suggest laptops then you may.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
You're obviously losing the users support, and you just lost me on sheer arrogance. I repair and recover laptops for a living, hardware and fried boards are my bread and butter, and if I like others recommend G-series and DELL/Alienware is because of added cooling capabilities. And I own 2 Samsungs, so we're clear. Plus, if I had time for gaming (waste of life), probably wasn't here supporting even you.

Do has you wish, you're not listening to anyone anyway.
Try Harder!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

Just a note:Downloaded WoW...the only game I play online onto my wifes Toshiba Satellite A505. Which has an I5 processor, and built in grapichs card. I can play on recommended settings and run 15-30fps, depending on the area I am in, and how congested it is. I lowered the settings to minimum, something I don't mind doing on WoW, and could run 30fps in Goldshire Inn on MoonGuard server, which is probably the highest population server and the Inn is always packed with people.
Going to get a Toshiba with an I7 soon and see how well it does...I love Toshibas

IF you go dell, I'd say get an XPS but definately NOT an Alienware. Alienware USED to be good, now they're overpriced..
Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 AM   #20
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I think Alienware died when Dell purchased it frankly. Toshibas used to be the very best and they still are good, especially perhpas best sound in laptops with harmon Karden speakers onboard. I just am not happy with Dell any more, they are not the same as a few years ago.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Closed Thread