Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Whats the Bios in your Acer Aspire 7520

This is a discussion on Whats the Bios in your Acer Aspire 7520 within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, new here I'm in a spot of bother, My Acer Aspire 7520 Vista has produced a Black screen

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all, new here

I'm in a spot of bother,

My Acer Aspire 7520 Vista has produced a Black screen and I cannot boot into 'F2' to get into the Bios. Its dead, only Fn+esc works with fan running nothing else. friend has told me from his Service Manual for the 7520 and 7520G etc. That the Bios is 'Insydeh20', yet when I go to Acers website for support the Bios is V1.33 'Pheonix'. I want to get a Bios to flash it to try and get it going if the Bios is corrupt

So those who have an Acer Aspire 7520 Vista, Model No' 7520-6A1G08MI taken from the laptop base.

Is your Bios Insyde or Pheonix.

Please Help

Thanks

Old 11-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Acerwastheone welcome

This appears to be a sad but very common problem for Acers. I have been researching it for a while and a common link is motherboard thermal stress, leading to motherboard failure. What I'm saying laptops run hotter than PC's and the motherboard suffers from solder joint problems and premature component failure.

Your other delema 'Insyde or Pheonix', yours is Insyde, and yes Acer web site is Phoenix. ACER ***!!!!

With you having a black screen, this means that you cant flash your bios from Windows. You need to do what is called a blind flash, that is making up a crisis disk and flashing your bios from this.

Now the bad news. This is only possible with Phoenix bios as far as I know, and I have reasearched this endlessly for other forum members. Still not found a solution.

Try this:

1. Remove the battery and AC cord. Remove the bottom cover/covers of your laptop and make sure the cooling path is free of fluff and dust. Check the heat sink on the CPU is not loose, if so tighten the screws back down that hold it on.
2. Remove and reseat your RAM modules.
3. Replace your covers.
4. Hold down your power button for 1 minute (Battery and AC still disconnected).
5. Replace your AC power (not battery) and turn on.

This is called a hard reset. If it works COOL, then replace your battery.

The only other solution is to open up your lappy and check for bad solder joints etc. No point sending it to Acer as they will charge you for a new mobo, cheaper to buy a new lappy. Is it still under warranty??!!

Good luck Dude.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi

Thanks, but have already tried as listed and disconnecting the cmos battery from seeing other topics on this site.

As some members are confused of which BIOS should be installed, is the reason of asking the question.

"So those who have an Acer Aspire 7520 Vista, Model No' 7520-6A1G08MI taken from the laptop base, whats your BIOS: Insyde or Pheonix"

thanks mate
Old 11-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I'm waiting for a reply from a forum member who has claimed to have flashed his 7520 to v1.33 with the Phoenix crisis recovery procedure I have shown him. I have asked him what bios his lappy runs. Lets see what he has to say.

Have you tried to contact Acer? Maybe worth a try maybe
Old 11-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Registered Member

error
Old 11-28-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons View Post
Hi chaps its pheonix bios for sure,the ram is the same 2x samy,when mine failed i had blank black screen,power led.network led,hd led, dvd tray if loaded,cycle for 2-3 seconds,fan now and again,i hope this helps,while on subject ,my wireless led has not come back on and does nt show correct size of ram ?
The bios in an Acer Aspire 7520 is Phoenix, and the bios files on the Acer site are correct.
Hope this helps.

Closed Thread