Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Want to Disable Mouse Pad

This is a discussion on Want to Disable Mouse Pad within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone! Just wondering, is there a way to disable the mouse pad on a laptop? I have real difficulty

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone!

Just wondering, is there a way to disable the mouse pad on a laptop? I have real difficulty typing as I keep bumping the mouse pad with the bottom of my hand and making the cursor move. I have a USB mouse connected, and I would like to disable the mouse pad as I don't use it, and all it does is irritate me. Just wondering if anyone knows how to do it, without opening the laptop up.

AthenaPi

Old 09-24-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team

Well, AthenaPi, I keep a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D7850 at home and I can do what you're asking, however I'm afraid it is hardware-specific.

1. To disable the Touchpad in the Amilo laptops, the Synaptics driver is necessary. So, I first needed to locate the right Synaptics driver from the F-S site (they are umpteen), download and install it.

2. After installing the Synaptics driver, I had to click on Start -> Control Panel -> Mouse. Now, there was an additional tab on the Mouse CPL, called Settings. I simply marked the Touchpad and clicked on Disable.

3. From that point on, the USB mouse could be connected and the Touchpad remained deactivated.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via ICQ to V0lt
I would check to see if there's an Fn+key combination that toggles the pad on and off, whenever you need it. My Acer has one on the F7 key, which makes it really convenient if I need to disable it temporarily for whatever reason.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
Vetustior Humo

My Dell laptop has a function within the "Mouse" area of Windows Control Panel. Once open, it gives me the option of disabling the little joy stick and the the touch pad.

If you can't disable it, maybe adjusting the pressure sensitivity all the way up (or down depending on how you want to look at it) might make those occasional taps less bothersome.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:14 AM   #5

So, as I implied earlier, you really need to provide your system specs.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt
My Acer also has the toggle touchpad on/off. The Synaptics driver also has the option to disable the touchpad while typing, or to disable tap-to-click. I had to disable tap-to-click because I kept bumping the touchpad as well.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:26 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hi guys!

Thank-you for all of your suggestions. I haven't been able to find any key combos or anything in the mouse properties. It's an MSI Mega Book S250 if that is of any help. It's just impossible. I think I'm gonna give up ... Any other ideas?

Ps - the ideas were great btw. I really appreciate all the help. You guys are the best
Old 09-25-2006, 05:33 AM   #8

Athena, your laptop has also Synaptic drivers for its touchpad. However, I could not locate any S250 model in the MSI site; the closest one I could find was the S260, which uses the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver Version 8.1.2. This driver can be downloaded from here: http://us1.msi.com.tw/support/dvr_ex...hPad_8.1.2.rar (in case you either have an S260 or you can verify it is the same driver). If this is ultimately your case, then you can easily follow Matt's aforementioned advice and mine.

EDIT: OK, it seems that an S250 laptop does really exist (), yet I couldn't locate any touchpad drivers: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...vr_nb_list.php

The only generic (i.e. non-model specific) Synaptics driver listed there is Synaptics Touchpad Driver Version 9.1.0.429, but I believe the one from S260 (8.1.2) should be a far better first choice, in order to confirm it actually works on the S250, too.