Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Vertical Line down Screen

This is a discussion on Vertical Line down Screen within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, earlier today I noticed that there's a vertical blue/red line appeared on my laptop screen. It's a Samsung

Old 09-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,
earlier today I noticed that there's a vertical blue/red line appeared on my laptop screen. It's a Samsung R510 series on vista.

Any suggestions how to get rid of it please

Many thanks

Old 09-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

More specs please.

Have you tried wiggling the screen? If it goes away or get worst it is a a faulty connection. Also try moving the laptop around to test this theory.

Post more specs please.
RAM
GPU
CPU with Speccy

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
JackBauer_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry i'm not much good with computers. Not sure what specs mean or how to wiggle the screen. please could you explain this

Many thanks
Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
TSF Articles Team

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (SP1) and Ubuntu 12.10 [Dual-Boot]

I have these lines on my old laptop. It began with one line and now I have several. There doesn't seem to be much support on the web about this issue (although it is a common issue).

It is likely that the connection between your laptops parts and your laptops monitor isn't great, it may be a little loose.

Considering you do not know too much with computers, I would recommend getting somebody you trust to open up your laptop and sort this out for you (it only needs the wire to be pushed in firmly- probably).

You could take it to a repair shop but it is more than likely that they will say your screen is broken and they will recommend you replace it, try my suggestion first.

Also, by wiggle the screen, he meant physically move the screen (as if you were closing the laptop or opening it) at certain angles, the line may go

GreenLightPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

It sounds like a faulty screen but there are a few checks you can do first.
  • If you have an external monitor, connect it to the laptop and see if the lines are still there.
  • Try upgrading your video card drivers to the latest version - download them from the Laptop maker's website.
  • Do the lines appear when your first power on the computer?
  • Boot into Safe Mode: Keep tapping the F8 key when you power on the laptop and choose Safe Mode with Networking. See if the lines appear.
  • As Greenlight was describing, you can put a little bit of pressure on the screeen from the back or gently flex the screen to see if it's a connection issue.

Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote