Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

VAIO laptop works fine, but has display problems

This is a discussion on VAIO laptop works fine, but has display problems within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Since October/November of 2008, my laptop has been having display problems. It'd work fine, but displaying something like a picture,

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Since October/November of 2008, my laptop has been having display problems. It'd work fine, but displaying something like a picture, movie, pdf file or the Welcome screen at start up would cause pixels to appear on my screen. Then everything would freeze, but the screen would look clear again like it's working normally, then it'd go blank and work again, with a bubble in the taskbar saying "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered". I've brought it to a repair shop in Nov08 and Jan09, only to have the people tell me that they've detected nothing from my laptop and that it MAY be a short somewhere. Now it's happening again unfortunately. Could it be from the video cable? They replaced my video card so I doubt that's the problem, but can anyone tell me for sure what this may be caused by?

Specs:
Sony VAIO VGN-FZ260E
Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT
250GB Hard Drive
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250
Vista Home Premium

Old 03-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

Try to go into BIOS setup (nothing to do there but look at the screen). If you experience the same issues while in BIOS setup then it could be hardware (i.e. LCD, video cable, video card). If LCD does not have any issues while in BIOS setup menu then problem could be drivers related. I would update the chipset and the video drivers first if I were you.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

Do I need to change anything when I get into BIOS or just see if the display works properly? I'll try and let you know.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

See my post again (quoted below):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
Try to go into BIOS setup (nothing to do there but look at the screen). If you experience the same issues while in BIOS setup then it could be hardware (i.e. LCD, video cable, video card). If LCD does not have any issues while in BIOS setup menu then problem could be drivers related. I would update the chipset and the video drivers first if I were you.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

Okay I got into BIOS, and everything was fine, no pixels or anything.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
Old 03-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

Since it's drivers related, what can I do? I found and dled a 179.48 Nvidia update which says it's compatible with my adapter, just that I can't install it because it claims that it can't find any related hardware to update. I can't go into Windows now, except Safe Mode. Unless I switch to the Standard VGA adapter, then I can get into Windows. Should I just bring my laptop to a Sony repair shop or is there something that I can do?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Try with Sony support website first. Getting from other sources may just add to the problem.

By the way most laptops have utilities that you can run to automatically download and install the driver updates. May be Sony laptops have that kind of utilities too. If not, go to Sony website (Google search argument "Sony laptop support").

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...?mdl=VGNFZ260E
Old 03-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
Registered Member

I found and installed the "Sony® VGP-UPR1 Graphics Driver Update" from Sony support that came out on 10/09/08, and I guess it made things worse. I couldn't get into Windows normally or in Safe Mode, so I had to do a System Restore. Other than that I don't see any relevant updates other than the 179.48 Nvidia one I found. But from looking in Device Manager, and running the automatic search for updates, it tells me that everything on my laptop is up to date.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #10
Registered Member

Ah my bad, I just found out that the update from Sony I installed is for a dock that you connect to the Vaio notebook. I should've checked it before I installed it. Oops.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
Registered Member

Now my laptop has vertical blue lines on the screen. The lines are in groups of 7, and they just run across the screen. They're like... in the background. If I move a picture or something around, you can see that the picture is just fine, but with it, you can see the invisible blue lines in the background. Any ideas about this? I'm running laptop on generic display adapter btw.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Does it show up on an external monitor? If you did a restore, make sure Windows has the latest updates. Install the chipset driver from Sony website if there is one. Once chipset driver is installed, install the video/display driver.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
Registered Member

I tried to plug it into an external monitor but the monitor only displayed "Check Signal Cable" so I'm not sure... I haven't done a restore and I don't see any chipset drivers from Sony. Everything seem to be up to date...
Old 04-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Never mind... just boot into BIOS Setup and observe if you see the blue vertical lines in the BIOS menus.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
Registered Member

Okay I booted it into BIOS Setup, and everything was fine. No blue lines.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

If you do not see any blue lines on the screen in the BIOS setup menu (only in Windows) then you may need to update (or rollback) the video drivers. Try to uninstall the video drivers and reboot. Download the latest video drivers and install as needed. Reboot.

Closed Thread