Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

USB port failure on HP pavilion dv4000

This is a discussion on USB port failure on HP pavilion dv4000 within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. It's hard to say if the mouse is getting power, but I think it is... there's a green light on

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #41
Registered Member

It's hard to say if the mouse is getting power, but I think it is... there's a green light on the USB port that is on when the mouse is working. When it stops working, it flashes once each time you plug it in, and then goes out. And the same things happens in the Y-cable... it works for a while, but eventually dies. And the cooling fans are still going, so THAT's definitely still getting power.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #42
Registered Member

Well, I have to say that after trying the "cooler" approach I got some pretty good results: everything worked fine... for a while...

After a few days, even with the cooler, I got the same problem back.
And this time it got worst!

Here's what happens now (you're gonna love this!) : when I turn on my Pavilion dv4000 it doesn't boot at all! Unless... unless I grab the lid (the monitor) and pull it just a tiny bit towards me, like if I wanted to close the lid. By doing this the boot process goes on, but I have to keep holding (making a slight pressure towards closing) the lid.

At some point, if I slowly let got of the lid the pc will eventually keep on working (but, of course, without USB ports). After a successful boot, I open a document (any document) and type. If I move the lid the image on the screen (windows, mouse cursor, text, etc.) will just freeze while I type, i.e., what I type does not show up in the screen. If after that I readjust the lid my making that slight pressure towards closing, the text I typed suddenly appears!

This works like this in Linux, in Windows I just get a Blue-Screen-Of-Death the moment I first move the lid.

A guy at a "PC Service" store told me this series of laptops from HP has a major hardware design flaw which causes all kinds of "bad" simptoms like the ones we're experiencing. The solution is usually the replacement of the motherboard ! Which is very expensive if the guarantee has already expired (like in my case! )

End result: I'm considering getting myself a MacBook !

If you have any nicer solutions please tell me!

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #43
Registered Member

Hoo, boy. I've been having boot problems, too - but they seemed to be related to the USB failure, so I didn't have a separate thread on the subject. Mind you, I don't have BSOD, but I do have Black Screen of Not Booting. This isn't good news. Thanks for checking back in, though!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #44
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

It sounds like the display is going out now. You should still be able to use an external monitor.

I will check back when I get home as I have to go now.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:11 AM   #45
Registered Member

Hi guys!

Just found info on the web about this issue. Hopefully it will bring some closure to this subject. Unfortunately, not a nice closure, I guess. Here's what I found:

"Known problem with hp dv4000 series motherboards and HP fails to service customers

I've tracked down the problem which is with the motherboard and is known to HP however my warranty expired in December. I notified HP of the problem, they promised to send a box for an RMA however failed to do anything and that was during the Christmas season, right before my warranty expired. Is my warranty still valid since I contact HP before the issue or must I seek help elsewhere? This is the 2nd time HP has completely dropped the ball, the first time being the "rebate" that didn't exist.

The problem is described as:

* http://www.notebookforums.com/thread178802.html
* http://www.computing.net/hardware/ww...rum/43815.html
* http://ask.metafilter.com/50153/
*http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.ph...threadid=20055
* http://www.computing.net/hardware/ww...rum/43815.html
* http://www.aqstech.com/hp5.html

"

That's it. Read these articles and you'll be elucidated. We are not alone with this problem with the dv4000s.

Good luck!

Alex
Old 11-03-2007, 06:07 AM   #46
Registered Member

Dang! TheMatt had suggested it was a mother board problem on page 1, but I was hoping to work around it. Three or four days ago, I ordered the PCMCIA-USB card from a link on page 1... I'll post back when I see if it works.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #47
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If the problem with the motherboard is isolated specifically to the connection from the USB controller to the ports, then the PCMCIA USB card should fix it.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #48
Registered Member

3 days in with the PCMCIA USB card, and not a single freeze of the port OR of the computer in general (which I always suspected was linked to the USB going down). Even if it's just less frequent, it's a LOT less frequent.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #49
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Good to hear. Post back in a couple days again how the computer is running.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:40 AM   #50
Registered Member

So far so good. No crashes of any kind since the PCMCIA card went in. I'm still running the cooling fan off the original USB ports, but I'm running my flash drive and my mouse off the PCMCIA. I recommend this solution to anyone else having this problem!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #51
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Glad its fixed.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #52
Registered Member

I was having these problems as well. I opened the laptop up and resoldered what I could reach of the 3 ICs under the PCMCIA slot and have not had a problem since. Not requiremened for the weak of heart this thing is a pain to take apart and the ICs have very small connections.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #53
Registered Member

I had problems where USB ports would quit working randomly--required reboot to get working again.

Took apart laptop and inspected. I did not notice anything obvious (after all, I am a software engineer).

After putting back together, it didn't even start. So I remembered a post saying to put pressure just above the touchpad. And, voila!

So I took it apart again and figured out that putting just a little pressure on the corner of the fw82801fbm chip caused the system to respond. So I put in a little vinyl bumper to put pressure on the corner of this chip.

It has been rock solid for 3 weeks, USB ports and all. I'm debating sending this circuit board somewhere to have it resoldered. (I got quotes from various places between $35 and $350.) I might just wait until problems recur.

Anyone have their chip resoldered? If so, where and how much?
Old 01-07-2009, 05:31 AM   #54
Registered Member

Grin

Been over a year now and still working great. Took it apart once to inspect the bumper a few months ago. Just indented real good where it contacts the chip. No problems.

FYI.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:19 AM   #55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoutray View Post
I had problems where USB ports would quit working randomly--required reboot to get working again.

Took apart laptop and inspected. I did not notice anything obvious (after all, I am a software engineer).

After putting back together, it didn't even start. So I remembered a post saying to put pressure just above the touchpad. And, voila!

So I took it apart again and figured out that putting just a little pressure on the corner of the fw82801fbm chip caused the system to respond. So I put in a little vinyl bumper to put pressure on the corner of this chip.

It has been rock solid for 3 weeks, USB ports and all. I'm debating sending this circuit board somewhere to have it resoldered. (I got quotes from various places between $35 and $350.) I might just wait until problems recur.

Anyone have their chip resoldered? If so, where and how much?
jmoutray, could you be more specific about which corner of the chip have you pushed down and how huge the plastic bumper was? I completed the same procedure about a week ago pushing down all upper half of the chip with thick foam but still ocassionaly get the old problems (although much less frequently).
Old 03-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #56
Registered Member

1/2" thick vinyl bumper Image

If you're sitting at the laptop, it's the far left corner.

I've taken it apart a couple times since then to fix the power connector. Cord had to be jiggled just right to get power. I was able to push the little tab from the inside to bend it out. Worked like a champ.

Anyway, haven't had a single problem with lockups since I put the bumper (must be going on 2 years by now!)

jmoutray
Old 12-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #57
Registered Member

I had this problem with my DV4000 - USB ports stop working until reboot; freezing but can unfreeze by pressing in some spots or lifting by left side of screen, etc. I recently had it repaired by Joe at aqstech for $119 + shipping (total was around $145 I think) and now it's working perfectly He specializes in manufacturer-defect repairs and knows how to deal with this one. http://www.aqstech.com/hp5.html
see also my post at
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f108...ur-492394.html