Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

USB optical mouse works then doesn't work

This is a discussion on USB optical mouse works then doesn't work within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have been running Windows XP Professional service pack 3 on my laptop for several years now with the same

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have been running Windows XP Professional service pack 3 on my laptop for several years now with the same USB HID compatible optical mouse. It worked fine until about a month ago when it suddenly stopped working, I could not use it to move the cursor or click, but the mouse was still lit up. Since then I have been using the laptop's built-in touchpad.

Not long before the mouse stopped working I had installed a webcam, and I thought that might have caused the problem, so I uninstalled it, but that didn't help the mouse. I did a system restore and that seemed to help a little bit, I could use the mouse for several minutes after start up, until it stopped moving the cursor, then if I unplugged it from the USB port and plugged it back in again it would work for several minutes before going out again. After I updated all my anti-virus stuff and reinstalled everything I had lost in the system restore, I had to unplug the mouse more often, now it is irratic, sometimes it will work for several minutes, other times only a few seconds.
When it is working the mouse is listed as a HID compatable mouse in the device manager, when it isn't working it is listed as a Human Input Device with a little yellow exclamation point.
I tried shutting down the computer, unplugging it and taking out the battery. The result was the same as with the system restore.
I suspect some kind of conflict between the mouse driver and something else, but I can't think of what would be making it stop moving the cursor after it was working fine for a few minutes.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by grancher View Post
when it isn't working it is listed as a Human Input Device with a little yellow exclamation point
Hi Grancher,

When it's listed as the above, it should show under USB (Universal Serial Bus controllers), correct? If this is the case, right-click and click 'Properties' and navigate to the 'Power' tab (I myself am using a desktop currently, so I'm speaking from memory!) and you should see that the Laptop has the ability to manage the power for your device - I.E: It can switch it on/off at will.

have a little look in to that and come back to us. If needs be, I can wipe the dust off of my Lenovo Laptop!

Cheers, Crit.

Looking for support with something else?
Microsoft ¦ Security ¦ Hardware ¦ Networking

Got an SSD?
Disable Defrag, SuperFetch and Prefetch!

*I do not always subscribe to threads*
If you're awaiting a reply after 24 hours, please PM me
Old 11-10-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

Nope,it says it's a Human Input Device and is listed under the heading Human Input Device. I did check the properties for my USB root hub though, and it said I had one USB port with a Human Input Device that takes 100mA and one that takes nothing. That seems right as I have two USB ports and I'm only using the one for the mouse, which appears to still be getting power because the light is still on.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

I tried unchecking the box in USB root hub properties that says
"let the computer turn off this device to save power", but it make a difference, I unplugged the mouse and plugged it back in a gain, it worked for about a minute then quit.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:26 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Grancher,

Does the mouse 'give up' when you're not running it through the HUB? Theoretically, you can take the HUB out if you're only usign the 1 port?

Looking for support with something else?
Microsoft ¦ Security ¦ Hardware ¦ Networking

Got an SSD?
Disable Defrag, SuperFetch and Prefetch!

*I do not always subscribe to threads*
If you're awaiting a reply after 24 hours, please PM me
Old 11-12-2010, 04:38 AM   #6
Registered Member

Not running it through the hub? What does that mean? The laptop has two USB ports, I'm not using any kind of external USB hub. In the device manager there are four USB root hubs listed, I figured they were interal things, only one of them shows the mouse under the power tab.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:44 AM   #7
Registered Member

This is rather embarrassing... I should have tried this before I posted. I bought a new mouse, and the new one works fine. Thank you very much for the help, I'm sorry about the trouble.