Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toto tv netbook wont enter recovery mode

6K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  BIGBEARJEDI 
#1 · (Edited)
When I power on the netbook it shows the battery condition, then goes to the Toto tv lap one icon with a red lettered message in the upper left screen stating: "Boot into recovery mode..." I've tried the recommended procedure of pressing the reset button, disconnect ac, then reconnecting ac then releasing the button but it just goes back to the icon. I've seen a few blogs with information on how to recover this netbook but the comments following all stated that the method didn't work. I know it's a crappy little netbook but I'd still like to try to find a solution. I even tried following recovery methods for other brands. No success so far. Thank you for any information you can give me. I even went as far as removing the ac power, the battery and the cmos battery as an act of desperation. No luck.

#2 ·
Hi Wally,
Start here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/black-screen-issues-and-troubleshooting-498132.html

If this doesn't narrow down the answer, read through more step-by-step self-help instructions from this detailed post here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/so-many-problems-911866.html#post5811778
Pay particular attention the Post #5.

I'm not familiar with this brand of netbook, but your profile states you have Windows XP; if this netbook is old enough to have come with XP, it's at least 7 yrs. old or older and most likely has multiple failures.:cry: Netbooks only were built to last 3-5 yrs. or so. They are really the first disposable computers. :uhoh: The cost to repair a netbook with a failed hard drive and Motherboard is usually $200 or more US. 2-3 times that in Europe. :cry:Brand new ones can be had for around $50-$100 on ebay or even yard sales. Plus, netbooks are even MORE abused than laptops due to their small size. Lots of customers bring them into me, and they look like they were used as a chew-toy by their dogs or their kids with all the scuff marks and bite marks on them! :nonono:

Run through the tests, and you'll know pretty quickly if you have a bad component or components. If you just have a bad hard drive or a RAM stick; it might be worth replacing the parts and repairing; if it's the Motherboard-not.

Best of luck, :thumb:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

#3 ·
This netbook is only 1 year old and has the latest version of the Android operating system. I hadn't used it in a while and forgot the password so I used Android Device Manager to wipe and reset it to factory defaults. That's when the Boot to recovery mode message appeared. I don't think it's bricked it's just a matter of figuring out the process to get it to go into recovery mode. I found some information on a blog on how to put this netbook into recovery mode: push reset button, unplug ac power, replug ac power release reset button. It doesn't reset. In the comments section of the blog, following the reset article, 5 people said the reset process didn't work for them either. In my browsing for solutions I've noticed a lot of people having problems getting a variety of different netbooks to reset, eventually, some come up with a method. I appreciate your help and time.

#4 ·
Ahh, that makes sense then; you're profile says Win XP SP3; so thought that's what you had on the netbook. Well, Android netbooks are trickier than Windows based netbooks from what I've seen, as they have fewer components, and if the reset/recovery mode fails to work, you're looking at taking them apart to replace parts. The ones I tried I have broken, so you probably need a Cell. phone Tech at a Cell. phone store with the exact right tools to take apart. At that point, if the Main board or other components have failed, and you're looking at replacement cost (parts and labor) of probably $150; it might just be cheaper to buy another one. 7" and 9" dell venues with Android Jelly Bean and Lollipop are going for less than that on Black Friday sales this week. Check your local ads!

Best of luck, :thumb:
<<<BBJ>>>

#6 ·
I bought this at a Radio Shack in Mexico. Toto tv is some sort of a media company and the netbooks are programed with their product. There is no support from the company. I found a blog that had a procedure for booting into recovery mode but in the comments section a lot of people wrote in saying the procedure didn't work. No one has written in with another option. I have other computers so I'm not stuck. I just see it as an interesting challenge. I've noticed, as I browsed, that people with a variety of different netbooks have problems getting their netbooks into recovery mode. Is there a way around this? Is there a program that would let me flash another os by connecting the netbook to a pc. I'm open to any ideas. I can always toss it but I'd rather see if I can figure something out. I appreciate the time you've taken to help me. Thank You.

#8 ·
I've been to that site. The netbook is rooted but like you said, at present I have limited access. I tried using adb and fastboot but got the message "No device found." I appreciate your patience and thoughtful responses. I do believe there is an answer out there. I'll keep searching, it'll be an adventure of sorts.

#10 ·
I still say you should take this to a Cell. phone repair guy. In your country specifically, as he's likely to have run across this brand netbook before. It might be a 10-min. fix, if so and a reasonable charge may be all that's required. However, it sounds like you might be one of those types who has a car that's been in his driveway for 20 yrs. and doesn't run since he won't pay a mechanic to fix it, so he rides his bicycle everywhere.

Have fun with getting it fixed, and please post back a final solution if you find one. I'm sure you're not the Only person in the world to buy one of these netbooks.

<<<BBJ>>>

#11 ·
Actually I'm one of those types who doesn't mind doing research and repairing things. I live in a small village in Mexico and it is very difficult to find qualified technicians. I'm also one of those types who repairs laptops and donates them to local students who can't afford to buy one. I'm also one of those types who doesn't like throwing things away just because some people tell him it's not worth the effort to try to fix it. Lastly, my car is over 20 years old and It runs fine because I maintain it.

#13 ·
Thank you Joeten, I appreciate your positive attitude. I'll be sure to let you know when I get it figured out. I'm not sure how it's done but I'd like to close this topic for now.I think all the usual approaches have ben tried and now we enter the realm of the mysterious where some interesting solutions reside. Thanks to all who have contributed their time and information.

#15 ·
Solved. I found someone on facebook who gave me a link to the firmware. I downloaded it to an sd card, inserted the card and it started the install. In minutes I was up and running.
It was a long and winding road to find the answer. I learned a lot and met many interesting people. There are a many people from Africa who have spent a lot of time dealing with cheap Chinese tablets. One guy told me didn't care what brand it was he just downloaded whatever firmware he had.
I'm glad I didn't take the easy path and quit. Even though it's a cheap netbook it was worth doing. Thanks to all who contributed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.