Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Toshiba will not power up

This is a discussion on Toshiba will not power up within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was reinstalling xp on my laptop when it shutdown. Now it will not power up. When plugged in (battery

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

I was reinstalling xp on my laptop when it shutdown. Now it will not power up. When plugged in (battery or AC) there is an amber light on the power indecator on the front of the laptop. It just blinks on and off. I have tied just battery and just ac. I cant get it to power up or do anything. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

pull the battery out and unplug it from ac power for about 5 minutes. Then plug in ac power and see if it starts up.

Also when it is plugged in, do you have any other lights on?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

I have no other lights on when I have it plugged in to the ac or on batt.

I have unpluged it for about 20min and tried it with just the ac. That didnt work either.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

ok, well, when you have it plugged in and battery in, it should have two lights, one saying yep I'm plugged into ac power, they other saying its charging the battery. If the ac power light is not comming on then you have one of two possible problems. One the ac adapter is bad and not powering the unit. two the motherboard is bad and not accepting power from the unit (on most toshibas it will be the motherboard since the dc in jack is soldered into it, but on some toshibas the dc in is seperate, but depends on the model)

i'd try the ac adapter first, universal ones will work, if you try a non-universal adapter make sure its the same volts and amps as your computer requires.

if it doesn't work, look on the bottom of the laptop and post the model # and part #, I can use those to look up your laptop and tell you about the dc in jack and motherboard if you wanted to know.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Registered Member

I am having the same exact problem with my toshiba. When I plug my power cord into my laptop the ac light and the battery light comes on. When I try to turn it on the lights stay on but it does nothing. When I release the power button the 2 lights turn off and it goes dead. I have to unplug the power cord to get the lights to come back on. When I try it without the power cord plugged in All of the lights come on except for ht e ac light but they turn back off. I had the laptop on my desk and it was working fine and I left for about 30 min and came back and it was dead. No one touched it or messed with it. I am also using a universal power cord and have been for about a year. Any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Osiris View Post
I was reinstalling xp on my laptop when it shutdown. Now it will not power up. When plugged in (battery or AC) there is an amber light on the power indecator on the front of the laptop. It just blinks on and off. I have tied just battery and just ac. I cant get it to power up or do anything. Any help would be great. Thanks.
remove the battery and the AC adapter then press power ON button for 30secs at least. attach battery and plug in the AC adapter back then power ON as normal.

if that does not help, remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 mins. also remove the battery and unplug AC adapter during this period.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to wendyb

I was having similar issues with my two year old Toshiba satellite. Two months ago I noticed I needed to leave the laptop on ac power because the batter power would only last forty minutes to an hour. I bought a new toshiba power cord, things seemed to get better.
Last week the laptop wouldn't keep a charge past twenty to thirty minutes and would shut off even with the cord plugged in. The battery light and the ac power indicator light would flicker. The only way I figured out how to charge the laptop was to place it on a twenty degree angle and jiggle the cord.
I saw on some website that the plug in on the laptop side may need to be re-soldered since lots of toshibas have had that problem. My husband decided to open it up and did not see any cracks and put it back together. Now the laptop would not turn on at all, no lights, no fan running nothing. He says the motherboard is fried. Is there any help or should I just buy another laptop?