Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Toshiba Satellite A60 cuts out after seconds

This is a discussion on Toshiba Satellite A60 cuts out after seconds within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Hello,

I own a Toshiba Satellite A60, and have a serious problem : it doesn't power up.

When I press the power button, the machine lights up, the hard drive spins, the CD / DVD drive is accessed, then the machine cuts suddenly. The screen is not powerd up, no sound, nothing.

The oroblem appeared after moving the computer (in a car, and in a case). The laptop had been correcly shut down, so I don't see why the transportation would have killed it.

I removed the lower cashe from the motherboard, but everything seems normal. Tried booting without hard drive, aditional RAM ou =dvd rive, but it didn't chage anything. Tried booting with F12 and C key pressed, but still nothing.

Anything I can do appart from sending the laptop for a BIOS reset? That would be very bad news...

Thanks for reading my bad English (did ùy best; hope it shows!)

nostra16

Old 07-30-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

Hi,

What do you mean when you say the lower cache? That laptop has a CPU with on die L1 and L2 cache.

Try reseating the RAM. Remove one stick and try to boot, then replace it, remove the other stick, and try to boot.

If you can reach the CMOS battery, pull it out for a half hour and put it back in. Then try to boot. Also, try booting without the wireless card.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the fast answer.

With lower cache I mean the big plastic square underneath my laptop. I just wanted to check if everything was still in place & connected.

I looked for the CMOS battery, but didn't find it. It has to be there, so I'll check the "remove your motherboard" picture-guide and try to find it.

The computer has built-in RAM, non-remoavable (well, that's what I understood after reading a few docs), so I guess the only way of resetting will be removing the battery.

What do I have to understand with "That laptop has a CPU with on die L1 and L2 cache."? Go back and double check everything is positionned correctly?

One more thing I didn't mention : the behaviour of the machine was the same before and after the take-apart adventure.

Thanks for your help!

nostra16
Old 07-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
Registered Member

Sorry for the double post, but didn't find how to edit the above message.

Bad news : I took out (with a friends help) the CMOS battery for an hour, and build the machine up again : no change. Can't unplug all the RAM cause part of it is built in (or so says lots of documents I went through).

Any new idea before considering sending it in?

Thanks again!

nostra16
Old 07-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Do you have a digital camera? If so, can you take pictures of the motherboard? I don't think that laptop has integrated RAM.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

I don't have the material to take the laptop down apart again, but on the following site I fouds a complete guide to tear the machine apart : http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptop...5/satA65_2.htm (step 17). The following pic legends the integrated memory : http://www.laptoprepair101.com/wp-im...problems_2.jpg

I had a technician on the phone today. He told me to press the power button for 15 seconds with no power in the laptop (battery nor cable), and to turn it back on with the cable as power source & the Backspace key pressed. Didn't help... He then old me the only thing to do is to go get a diagnostic in some company, and that it probably is a motherboard problem.

On www.getpartsonline.com, a new motherboard is 425$... I'd rather concider replacing the laptop all together if changing the motherboard is the only solution...

nostra16
Old 08-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yeah, when the motherboard is bad, the cost of repair usually exceeds the value of the laptop.