Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiba L305D-S5893 Wont Start UP

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  BIGBEARJEDI 
#1 ·
Just got this Laptop from a friend, said it had a problem. It ons, but the harddrive light flashes about 4 times and then nothing comes on screen, what is the problem. Not even Bios appear, laptop seems to be in tip top shape to I doubt it is the screen itself that has a problem, also the hard drive light hints that it is completely on etc.

#5 ·
Sorry I took so long to reply guys.

No Splash Screen at all, and No but I do have installation disks from my other PCS. The Warranty had expired, it's a barely used laptop but a little old.

Hi have you tried hooking it up to an external monitor, have you tried to enter the bios often it's holding the 0 key as you boot, This could be many things causing the issue from as simple as a new cmos battery to HDD or motherboard issues.
Hooked it up and still nothing, unable to enter bios, HDD seems good.

Hi there,

Try re-seating the both the memory and hard drive. Also, take out the battery and run the laptop with only the AC adapter connected and see if that helps power on your computer. Hope everything works out well for you.
Tried all that , still doesn't work. I think it's a CMOS battery as the laptop has some age, any more advice on to ensure this is the problem.

#4 ·
Hi there,

Try re-seating the both the memory and hard drive. Also, take out the battery and run the laptop with only the AC adapter connected and see if that helps power on your computer. Hope everything works out well for you.

#7 ·
On Toshiba's it's probably not the problem keeping it from booting.:nono: They will still boot from default settings stored in the BIOS--CMOS battery only stores date/time and other custom non-default settings that you changed.

Try this: remove the laptop battery, ALL RAM sticks (usually 1 or 2 in laptops), and the Hard Drive, and disconnect the external monitor.

Use only MAINS power also known here as the AC charger **no battery**, and attempt to power on the laptop. You should receive a series of audible "beeps"; we tekkies call this audible "beep-codes" which are diagnostic codes built into all laptops at the factory for Technician troubleshooting and repair.

If this test fails to produce "beep-codes", then almost certainly the Motherboard is bricked and will need to be replaced. :cry:This is $175-$400 in the US; 2-3 times that cost outside the US. :ermm:

As with most of our users, they are embarrassed by getting a defective laptop from a friend, and so we don't get details. When you say "got", did he GIFT it to you for Free, or did you pay him CASH MONEY??? If you paid him, he sold you a bill of bad goods!:facepalm: If he gave it to you, and this is quite common, he already knew it was bricked, and probably knows EXACTLY what the repair cost is, and so instead of throwing it in his trash, he GAVE it to you or SOLD it to you (even worse!). :cry:

Either way, he did you no favor.
:nonono:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.