Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Toshiba L305 Boot Problems

This is a discussion on Toshiba L305 Boot Problems within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an older Toshiba L305. It use to work somewhat normal, the DC jack came loose a while back,

Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have an older Toshiba L305. It use to work somewhat normal, the DC jack came loose a while back, (although I currently super glued that back together.) Then we had the machine sit around for maybe a year, so I took it and tried reinstalling it with a Windows 8 disc, But after some time it freezes. Screen turns either bluish or grey as if only the back light was working. I use many other Disc, Lubuntu, Puppy Linux, Windows 7, Ubuntu, etc. And with most of them, it either freezes like it did with windows, or it simply powers off and restarts. I have managed to get a few things to work, but they are all lightweight things. D*mn Small Linux boots and so far has not crashed, but due to the OS, my USB mouse does not work. Mini Windows XP from the Hiren's Boot CD works correctly, but does not run everything like a normal Windows does.
The base model shipped with
  • 2GB of DDR2 Ram,
  • A 126GB HDD, 2.5" SATA
  • DVD-r Drive
  • 15.6 Display
  • Intel Pentium
  • Microsoft Windows Vista
I tweaked it some, Removed the hardwire, so there is none, Sometimes put 4GB of DD2 Ram in there, but switch back some times.
I checked the BIOS, updated it to the latest version, Disabled the more power consuming Features and put the ACPI option to Compatibility. The Weird part is I once booted into Fedora 17, (still crashed), and an error code saying a power feature was out of date. A few other Distros showed the same message.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Hello,

Does it matter if the running from battery or power adapter connected.

Try using the PC with just the battery and test.

Remove the battery and connect power adapter and test.

I would suggesting you test/replace the CMOS battery.

Also extensively test the memory using the procedure below

Memory Diagnostics

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search