Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiba Battery replacement

905 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Sparks51 
#1 ·
Hello Gents,

While looking for a replacement battery for my laptop, I find a great amount of vendors with pricing from $15.00 to $65.00 per battery. Obviously I want to save money but also I don't want to buy junk.

So, can someone with experience in buying reliable batteries, please suggest a good vendor in which to buy from that has reliable product?

I'm not trying to induce advertising, I just want to avoid wasting money and get a battery that will work and last.

Thanks! :smile:

#3 ·
Hi there,

What is the model of your Toshiba laptop may I ask? How old is your laptop? Is your laptop less than a year old? FYI, laptops usually have a one year limited warranty.

For best performance, I recommend the same original/factory battery model.

#4 ·
Hello and thanks for your replies.

The model is a PSAA2U-049018, Satellite A105-S2051.
It is around ten years old. I agree the OEM battery is best, but they are obsolete, according to Toshiba. So, here I am.
Okay, I'll stay away from mid pricing or lower.

Now to find a reputable vendor, any suggestions?
Thanks!

#6 ·
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have already gotten one on order from Newegg. It has a two year warranty so I hope it will last. The cost was above the $30 dollar mark as Keiser suggested.

You make a good point about being an older system, however, I need it due to its ability to work with a 'special' usb to rs232 converter system. I've tried numerous 'dongles' for this purpose but didn't have any luck with them until I found a 'card' type plug in that works perfectly. It's worth it to keep this system going until I have no other choice.

Something I noticed while looking for batteries is that the OEM was 14.4 volts, many of the replacements are either 10.x or 11.1 volts. It doesn't seem like they would last event though their current rating was more than the oem.
Any thoughts about this lower voltage rating?

The one that I bought is the OEM voltage, just double the current rating, which is always good.

Thank you Sir!

#7 ·
Hi there,

What is the brand and model of this USB-To-RS232 converter? Have you tested it on a friend's computer per say? Assume your friend has a newer model of computer.

Assume you have tested this converter on other computers, does the computer give you an error? Or, the computer doesn't recognized this converter at all?

#8 ·
Hello DB,

I used the wrong terminology, I should have said a card bus adapter, sorry.

What I am using is StarTech 2 port serial CardBus adapter model CB2S950.

Never had to test it on another computer as it works fine with mine, (maybe you mean test the ones that didn't work with my system). The issue with those is that they would not communicate with the device that I was trying to send data to, if I remember right. So, I bought and tried the card bus adapter and success!

As far as the replacement battery, more success! I installed it, charged it and it is working just fine, as it should.

Lesson learned: don't buy inexpensive batteries!

Mongo like working systems! :)

Thank you all for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.