Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Thinkpad T42 lcd question

This is a discussion on Thinkpad T42 lcd question within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a IBM Thinkpad T42 and the lcd has pooped on me. There is no backlight at all, but

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a IBM Thinkpad T42 and the lcd has pooped on me. There is no backlight at all, but if I look hard enough or with a flashlight, I can see the extremely dim bios flash screen and the windows loading screen but after that it just goes completely dark, not even extremely dim. So i'm not sure if it is the back light, the inverter, or the entire lcd. I assume something to do with the backlight since I can see the start up screens with a flashlight, but since it dies out after that, maybe its something more. Is there any way I can rule out the inverter with a multimeter or something? I've googled that and found a few results but none that really explain what to do. Also, if it is the backlight, I assume I would rather just buy a new lcd than try to replace the backlight its self? Please help me and point me in the right direction as to where to go from here.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

The T42 can be a bit tricky. Many T4x models suffer the GPU problem. But based on your post it could be a backlight or inverter (hard to tell which when you do not have a spare to test with). I suggest you try with an external monitor first. If in external monitor the screen is OK then it could be your LCD (backlight) or the inverter. Of course replacing the inverter is easy and cheap compared to the backlight replacement.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply.

An external display works fine. I use a docking station to hook up to my external monitor and have used that for a while now (this screen problem has been going on for a while, i've just now tried to check into it) and it has been fine externally. I do have an inverter (for dell inspiron b130 if that tells you anything) laying around that is new, but I assume all inverters are different so I didn't want to try this one on the IBM and mess it up, or could I use this inverter for testing? or is there a way to test the current inverter with a multimeter or something of that nature? Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

I believe you can test the inverter with a multitester. What I do not know is how high the AC voltage output of the inverter. Without that information, the attempt could be dangerous and may mean HARM to the multitester (or worse to the one testing).
Old 03-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

well it's definately not worth harming the laptop any worse, or even more not worth harming myself. I might just try to buy an inverter and see if that works.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Of course any other inverter 'may' work. But in my experience getting the correct/right inverter is the best way to go. So how'd you know if the inverter you are getting is the right/correct one? Open the LCD area (top lid) and remove the inverter. Take note of the part number (IBM has FRU PNxxxxx) and use that as your search argument in eBay or in Google.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Registered Member

I got a new inverter and popped it in. No luck really. Before with the origional inverter, the IBM bios screen would pop up for like .00001 of a second when it first turned on, then would go dim but you could see it in the background. Now with the new inverter, the only difference is the bios screen flashes for like .00003 of a second, and then the same old. so i dunno. prob just the whole lcd is shot?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

If symptoms are the same after replacing the inverter then it could be the backlight (can be replaced but very delicate to do).

Closed Thread
Gear in this thread