Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Sony Vaio laptop screen has purple vertical lines

This is a discussion on Sony Vaio laptop screen has purple vertical lines within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sony Vaio VGN-FZ348E with Windows Vista SP2 - screen has 8 vertical strips of 8 purple lines each. Happens no

Old 11-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

Sony Vaio VGN-FZ348E with Windows Vista SP2 - screen has 8 vertical strips of 8 purple lines each. Happens no matter what you're viewing. Can see thru lines but it's no fun. On boot up there are various colors of boxes and lines at each point of booting but after Windows is loaded then purple lines remain in front of everything.

Background - I cracked screen during a trip (moved laptop by screen only - won't do that again..duhh)... replaced screen myself (found great YouTube video on how). All worked fine at home for months.

On this trip at first startup I had no backlight. Used TV as monitor OK but that got old. Took screen cover off and checked all wire connections etc. Started up and got picture but now purple lines are there no matter what I try. It has 2 connectors at bottom and ribbon connector on back of screen. All seem ok, i.e., wiggling them makes no change to lines.

I've looked at all wires to screen and backlight thinking they may have gotten pinched during my reassembly and wiggled loose during travel but can't see any damage. Possible internal damage to wire under sheathing?

In Device Manager under Display Adapter there is the ! sign before NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT and under Properties it says Windows has stopped this device Error 43. Deleting video driver and letting Windows reinstall it did not help. I let it search for Windows help but nothing came up. Here's what it said:

Description:
Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 43.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode
Architecture: x86
Hardware Id: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9005104D&REV_A1
Setup class GUID: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
PnP problem code: 0000002B
Driver name: nvlddmkm.sys
Driver version: 7.15.11.128
Driver date: 02-17-2008
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Any suggestions what to try now? I'm stumped. Don

Old 11-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

does the issue replicate on a external monitor please try hooking it up to a external and if it does replicate the chances are the graphics chip or card is failing

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

ahhh...good point. Hooked up laptop to new TV via HDMI. tried HDMI 1 and 2. Won't detect monitor automatically or manually using Win Mobility Center or using Fn/F7. Even rebooted laptop with TV connected. Nada. ahhhggggg.....
This is maddening. As I mentioned, initially I did connect to TV when I had no backlight and TV screen was fine.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi as a last resort to test can you try vga I expect it will do the same and the graphics are the issue but you never know

Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yeh thanks...thought of that but doubt it'd be different...plus, I don't have VGA cable here in this 3d world country. Guess my next step is to take metal frame off screen and see if something is wrong there. What's frustrating is why did one issue (no backlight) be 'fixed' and then new issues (lines and not connecting to external) come up. Oh yeh, IT'S A COMPUTER. sighhhh...
Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Thats the joy of troubleshooting it out to get you lol Sony eSupport - VGN-FZ348E/B - Support

Old 11-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Registered Member

Try and find someone with a real computer monitor that uses a VGA cable. Doing this will tell you if it is the monitor or the computer. It makes a huge difference in how you diagnose the problem.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Registered Member

Found a guy who I can hook up to his monitor via VGA on Sat.

In my failed efforts to connect to my TV somehow the display resolution got changed to 880x600 when I booted up today. The vert lines did not show up but did get numerous horiz squiggly lines making screen almost unreadable. Changed res to 1024x768 and vert lines came back. Noticed that where there is lots of black background the purple lines are green.

I'm guessing problem is vid card. How difficult is it to open laptop? Never done it before. Can't get new card til I get to states anyhow so maybe something's loose inside? Worth a shot???
Old 11-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi you would be best served having a service manual which so far I have not located this may give you some idea of what is involved How to take apart Sony Vaio VGN-FZ220 laptop. Replacing power jack. >> Inside my laptop
there is usually a cable running from the lcd screen to the motherboard which could be loose or damaged laptop lvds cable - Google Search

Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Registered Member

Update - I took my running laptop in a bag to check it with friend's monitor. When I got there the lines on the screen had disappeared. Now when the lines show up I just put the running laptop in the bag for 20-30 minutes and it's fine. Guessing it has something to do with capacitors on the video board not heating up on their own. Back in the states now. Best Buy guys say most it is likely a bad video card which is integrated into mother board so would probably cost more than laptop is worth. For now I'll just put it in the bag when lines appear. Haaaaa
Old 01-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

That will only work a limited amount of times before it goes out completely

Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
Registered Member

Yeh, I figured that so I've been looking at new laptops and backing up the important stuff on this one. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Goodluck hope you find a good one

Old 02-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
Registered Member

My screen has been working just fine for days now but it will crash I know. Choosing a new one is a pain. Looking at Dell and Sony at Best Buy where I have gift cards from. Not sure if I want 14" (lighter) or 15" (easier to see) screen. Sony VPCEH35FM/B at $599 or VPCEG37FM/W $729; Dell Inspiron 14RN-1228BK $579. Any personal suggestions?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi can you copy and paste the link from your browser bar to here for each as I can only see the dell on foreign sites (ie asian language)What i will say is I'am not personally a sony fan just did not like the one I had a few years back

Old 02-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #16
Registered Member

I've enjoyed my Sony for years now and had no problems until I broke the screen (replacing it myself may have messed up vid card somehow) so may stay with them. I use the BluRay with HDMI cable to my big TV so that's nice. I'm leaning toward the $729 Sony. Just not sure if I want 14 or 15". Guess it's just a personal decision.

Sony - VAIO E Series Laptop - Charcoal Black - VPCEH35FM/B

Sony - VAIO E Series Laptop - Glacier White - VPCEG37FM/W

Dell - Inspiron Laptop - Diamond Black - I14RN-1228BK
Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi do you need the 4G as other then being a bit lighter by about a pound I don't see that much in them I'am not counting the dell as it is I3 the others are I5 although the $729 does have a blueray which you may prefer so my vote goes to it

Old 10-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
Registered Member

Update to this saga: I bought a new Vaio VPCEG37FN, backed up my personal data from old one, etc. and started uninstalling most of the programs on the old one to give it to a friend. I had no recovery or Vista disk so I went into Vaio Care Recovery and selected "Recover computer" which was supposed to restore it to its original factory condition.

Well, that didn't work so well. Then Windows wouldn't boot up completely. It appears the recovery didn't finish for some reason. It starts to load Vista but then I get error "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation". (How????? I don't have a disk!!!!!! :)

I've tried the F12 to boot it from the network (whatever that means) but that leads to this error:
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

I then tried F2 to get into the BIOS and did Factory Settings, which under Advanced column showed both the external drive boot and Network boot is disabled. I tried Enabling both to no avail.

Ok, I need to buy recovery/install disk. Contacted Sony online. They don't sell one for this model anymore (and I can't find one online) but for a mere $80 Sony will talk me through a fix online . (Uhhh, Sony, I bought another Vaio, help me out here dudes.)

I set it aside to think about it later. Well, that was dumb. Now it wont even turn on, no matter what I try. Tried new power cord but nada. Even tried everything the Sony site and online help guy but he says it needs taken to Sony store. called them. They want min $100 and have to ship it to Texas for analysis. sighhhhhh.

Soooooo.....any suggestions? Should I try to open it up etc? What do I check for inside? Thanks for all the previous advice :)
Old 10-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi I think I may have missed something here why would you try a network boot did you see the hdd when you where in the bios as to what the problem could be do you get any lights on the laptop when you tried booting it did you test the AC adapter

Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #20
Registered Member

I'm not sure what you're saying. I'm not a real techy. I wanted a clean HD so tried the recovery. I thought it was simple but apparently not so. The recovery didn't work so I tried a few things. Even the Sony techs couldn't help in finishing the install within their free 15 minutes. They checked bios, safe mode, F12, etc. They seemed to know what they were doing, not me, I was just following their steps. My free time was up and they wanted $80 to talk me further through a fix. I wanted to wait. Wrong move.

As I said, then I put it aside to think it over. Now it won't power up even using the power cord to my new Vaio. No lights, no nothing. Yes, took battery out, pressed power button 30 secs, etc..all the tricks I could find.

I know it's all confusing. Just stuck at this point. Don't think it's worth $100-200 to just see if someone can fix it probably costing more.