Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Sony Vaio Laptop constant fan running and case feels hot

This is a discussion on Sony Vaio Laptop constant fan running and case feels hot within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've owned a Vaio VPCEB46FX i5 processor for 18 months. Worked well for the first year but for last 6

Old 10-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

I've owned a Vaio VPCEB46FX i5 processor for 18 months. Worked well for the first year but for last 6 months, the fan comes on at high RPM within 1-2 minutes of turning on the laptop, and within 5 minutes the unit feels hot. the battery life which used to be about 3hrs, has declined to 1 ever since this began happening. I opened the bottom and blew out any dust in the fan assembly (there was not much) but this did not help at all. Can anyone tell me what my next steps for diagnosing the problem and fixing it should be? Thanks!
Kourosh

Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF possibly a fresh coat of thermal paste on the cpu and heat sink clean away the old first and use a little isopropyl alcohol to wipe the the residue from the cpu

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote