Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony VAIO HD ISSUE

956 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  WatchPatRun 
#1 ·
Hi, I purchased a Sony Vaio Fit (Model no: SVF15N17CXB) about 14 months ago and the other day when I went to start it back up, an error message kept coming up saying the Hard Drive was not detected. I tried going through all of the troubleshooting methods available (restoring, etc.) and that didn't resolve the issue. After that, I took the laptop to Best Buy where I was told the hard drive was bad. I ended up buying a brand new HD (same type, 1TB SD/HDD Hybrid) and after installing it into the laptop I received the same error; HD not detected.

After doing a bit of research, I've come up with two other possible issues. 1. it could be the SATA controller that has failed, or the motherboard. Does anyone know a possible way to find out if it might be one or the other, and what possible solutions I might have in fixing either solution, depending on what it might be?

This laptop cos me a lot and I'd like to get it fixed so I can continue using it. Thanks!

#3 ·
The error is the same as before, saying the hard drive is not detected. When I check BIOS with the new and old HD it says it's not detected. I'm not entirely sure the exact error message because my laptop is currently with my cousin, but it was something along the line of ''Hard Drive not detected''

#4 ·
Have you reset the bios to optimum default settings and then tried again? It is more than possible the drive you bought is defective also BTW. I would try it in another system if resetting the bios makes no difference and if it is seen in another pc then the controller and the motherboard are the issue. You can plug that into a desktop and/or use a Usb adapter to see if another pc sees it in Disk Management.
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00HJZJI84

#7 ·
Well I looked up the parts for my laptop and there is a part specific to the model of my laptop for the SATA cable and it looks like it can be swapped out. Hopefully that's the issue and not the motherboard, although I was still hoping it'd be something easier and quicker to fix, since I paid 1500 for the laptop and now it's just being used as an expensive paper weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.