Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] Vista Blue Screen with Mouse Arrow

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Vista Blue Screen with Mouse Arrow within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, My notebook is not booting up properly. All I get is a blue screen with a mouse arrow. It

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
My notebook is not booting up properly. All I get is a blue screen with a mouse arrow. It is not a blue screen with an error code. I ran a memory and hardware test from the BIOS and all tests passed. I have tried to get a C Prompt to run some of the options suggested in your BSOD sticky, but everything I try does not work: I can't get the Safe Mode c prompt (or Safe Mode, for that matter), I tried running the Vista Recovery DVD, but it's not coming up (changed the boot options so that the CD/DVD drive would boot first -- no luck).
Ideas, please?

I'm running Vista x86 on an HP Pavillion dv6500.
Original OS was Vista (OEM). My hard drive crashed this year and I replaced it with a new one. I reinstalled Vista with a recovery DVD.
I ordered the computer in 10/07.
The CPU is Intel Core 2 Due T7250 with 2.0GHz.
Video Card:Intel Graphics Media Acc. x3100
Motherboard: unknown
Power Supply: unknown (regular power cord).

Any help would be much appreciated!
chispaluz

Old 11-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

Hi there,

I'm still hoping that someone out there can help. If it sounds like a no-go, please let me know and I'll try to take my notebook in to get looked at. I'm struggling to get work done without it. However, I'm trying to find a solution without any extra costs in labor...

Thanks!
chispa

Old 11-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

bump.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello chispaluz and welcome to TSF,

Just so I understand, the Vista recovery disc isn't loading? Or is it not finding the Vista installation?
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

The disc isn't loading at all. I try to run the CD Rom drive first from the BIOS (with Vista in the drive), and a black screen comes up, and it says that it's "Loading files", but after a few minutes, the same blue screen with the arrow comes up. I also tried to run the Carrona Memory Diagnostics from a disc, too, and nothing happened.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Do you have access to an external USB CD ROM?
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yes, I have a Toshiba MulitDrive.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Attempt to load Vista using the external trive.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

I tried to boot it, but it just come up with The Windows Error Recovery screen. Windows failed to start... Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows normally. If it goes into startup repair, I get the blue screen with the arrow, if I try to start windows normally, I get the black screen with nothing on it.
I went into the Boot Menu to try booting specifically from the Ext drive, and I only have two options for boot from: "2. the ATAPI CD/DVD ROM Drive or 6. Notebook Hard Drive." Any other options are not listed.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Make sure the External HD is connected when you turn on the laptop
Enter the BIOS and check your boot device priority. You may have to move the external drive ahead of the internal drive.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
Registered Member

Hi,
It's definitely connected; it's receiving power and the disc is whirring away in there. I checked the Boot Order in the BIOS, and this is the order I have them in: USB Floppy, ATAPI CD/DVD ROM Drive, USB Diskette on Key, USB Hard Drive, (The Network Adapter is disabled), and at the bottom is the Notebook Hard Drive. As I wrote earlier, the only options offered in the Change Boot Order (F9) are the ATAPI drive and the Notebook HD.
Any other ideas?
Thanks for your help.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Do you have both leads from the USB CD drive connected to ports?

Try different USB ports.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #13
Registered Member

Both leads are connected. I tried different ports, with the same results.
Any other thoughts?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #14
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

That is odd, most BIOSes that support USB HDD/Floppy/Thumbdrive also support USB CD/DVD. The fact that isn't showing in the BIOS when the other USB peripherals are is perplexing.

Try setting BIOS defaults... I'm not going to say it will magically going to work, but sometimes when I am having issues with boot devices, setting defaults actually helps.

I am apt to believe your ATAPI optical drive is failing or failed. It should have no issue booting from disc.

One thing to try also, When you hit f8 to access the advanced boot menu for Windows, is there a "repair" option?

Also, use the f8 function to boot to Command Prompt and type;

Code:
chkdsk c: /f
Old 11-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
Registered Member

I restored the default boot options, but it boots to the screen that offers: Launch startup repair, or Start Windows normally. Neither one works.

From the Adv. boot options (F8), I tried the "repair" option, and it ended up at the blue/arrow screen.

I tried to boot to the Command Prompt, but it says that it's loading files, it hangs for about 2 minutes, then it reboots.

Any other ideas? Is it dead?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #16
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Still no dice on booting from the multi-drive, eh?

Check to see if the Vista disc will boot on the computer you are using now. Just let it load to the first menu then you can shut it down.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #17
Registered Member

I checked the Vista Recovery disk in my desktop, and it booted with no problems. Any further suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #18
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Alright, we have verified that the recovery disc is working.

Let's try and get some diagnostics done.

Attempt to boot the carrona memory diagnostic from the Toshiba multi-drive. If it doesn't boot, we are going to try and boot your system from a thumb drive.

If you can boot to the memory diagnostic from the multi-drive let me know.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
Registered Member

I did try the carrona memory diagnostic, but it did not boot either. How do I boot from a thumb drive?
Thanks!
Old 11-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Start by downloading this package.

Extract it to a folder on your desktop.
There are only 2 items you are going to use.
HPUSBFW.exe
win98boot (folder)

Delete the rest of the files... They are for a BIOS update for another post I am advising. I am not at home so I cannot prepare you your own package.
  1. Locate HPUSBFW.exe
  2. Right click on the HPUSBFW.exe and select "Run as Administrator" (in XP this is not necessary)
  3. Select your USB drive from the Device pull down menu.
  4. Select the Create a DOS startup disk option.
  5. Browse to and select the win98boot folder.
  6. Click Start - A dialogue box will open warning that your data will be erased. Select YES

Your thumb drive is now bootable to DOS. Give it a test run to see if it boots up. If it does, let me know and we will go from there.

Closed Thread