Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] Toshiba laptop not working?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Toshiba laptop not working? within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay 2 days ago my laptop was working fine! yesterday when i put the top up. none of the lights

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

Okay 2 days ago my laptop was working fine! yesterday when i put the top up. none of the lights were on! So i pressed the power button.. and guess what? NOTHING!so I left it alone.. Now when i just got back home I tried to turn it on.. It still doesn't work..
I've had it for about 2 or 3 years now.. The warranty is out I think

Help me plz.. I'm using home shared computer.. And I will not tell my mom unless all my options on fixing this problem doesn't work.. I'm really worried about this.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

hello doggylover1220,

Could you specify which Toshiba laptop you have?

Take the battery out and also the power supply (charger), hold the power button in for 30 seconds. Make sure the power cord is plugged into the wall securely and the power cord hasn't come loose from the charger.

Plug the laptop in (no battery) and try and turn the computer on.

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

okay ummm i'm nto sure what you mean but for the Satellite it says A305-S6905
Model NO. PSAG8U-04001W

It sometimes did get really hot and i'm nto sure if it burned out.. I really wanna use it.And how do I take battery out because I odn't wanna mess it up some-more
Old 10-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Thank you, that is the information I needed.

The power charger will get hot during use, it is common. And yes, it may have burned out.

The battery should be on the bottom towards the back. There will be a slide lock that you need to push to one side and it should just pop out.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

what does it mean when it has burned out? DO I have to get a new laptop?Will I be able to fix this myself?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

No... The power supply may have burned out.

And I can't say if you will be able to fix this yourself or not.

I want you to follow the instructions I left for you in post 2.

Then let me know the results.

And if anything else happened prior to the problem, let me know.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

Okay I took out the battery. Do I keep it out for a certain amount of time then put it back in and try to turn it on?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Don't put the battery back in yet. Leave it completely unplugged and hold the power button in for 30-60 seconds. Then plug in the charger and try to boot the computer.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

It didn't work. I held the power button for a minute then put the battery back in, and tried to turn it on. I think my laptop is permenantly damaged =/

and can you tell me how a laptop gets burned out and what can I do for it
Old 10-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
Registered Member

Oh and while I looked in th eback I saw the fan.. I jsut finished reading baout toshiba laptops are known to overheat. That's what mien does. There's a lot of dust in the fan on my laptop.. COuld that be the problem to?I've never cleaned it and have the slightest idea how
Old 10-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Overheating will definitely do that. Overheating is the number one cause of laptop death in the world, right next to fatal accidents (like falling off the table).

You would clean those vents out with compressed air, which is available at most computer shops, electronics stores and WalMart.

You can try cleaning the vents but it won't do any good at this point. So, unless you are 100% comfortable taking the laptop completely apart, I suggest you take it to a repair center and have it looked at by a tech. To be honest, they will probably say it has a bad mother board.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #12
Registered Member

Can I get that replaced?

--------------------------------EDIT----------------------------------
Well, I jsut finished reading something that says a lot of toshiba laptops have been recalled due to overheating. Mine wasn't on the list, but it'll give my mom a good reason not to be mad at me because I didn't mess it up. Looks like i'll probably won't be getting that much for Christmas now if I get a new laptop =/

darn overheating!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:48 AM   #13
Registered Member

Grin

Now my laptop works. I just had to give it time when you said take the battery out for a couple of seconds.Then I had to charge it again. My charger no longer works as it use to. It's like the plastic part is melting

OH and Thanks for your help