Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] Samsung R580 stuck on the Samsung screen

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Samsung R580 stuck on the Samsung screen within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, My Samsung R580 (with Win7) had been running very slowly for a few days (which I more or

Old 08-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys,

My Samsung R580 (with Win7) had been running very slowly for a few days (which I more or less ignored as after a few minutes of freezing it was getting back to normal. However yesterday it froze again so I reset it- after this it won't boot up anymore. It's stuck on the Samsung logo, there's a clicking sound coming from the HDD (is this a possible HDD failure or did I simply not notice it before as it's quite faint?) and most importantly I can't even get to the BIOS- when I press F2 it shows "Please wait" on the Samsung screen but doesn't get any further than that. Do you know what may be wrong with it, if it's a HDD failure shouldn't it at least get to BIOS?

The laptop is still on a warranty but I'll have to send it to another country where it was bought- so I'd appreciate if you could let me know if this is necessary. Also, I'll burn an Ubuntu CD at work and see what this does. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Do you know what may be wrong with it, if it's a HDD failure shouldn't it at least get to BIOS?
From what you describe it does seem in fact that the hard drive has failed.

I have seen where this prevents access to the BIOS as well.

Use the warranty for hard drive replacement.

You will also need to have the Recovery disc if you don't already have them.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah you're right. I removed the HDD and it gets to the BIOS nicely, Ubuntu works with no problems as well. Sending the HDD for warranty, thanks for help!
Old 08-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Glad you got it sorted and Thanks for the update.