Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] Restore an Alienware laptop to Factory Settings

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Restore an Alienware laptop to Factory Settings within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is just need to know what the hotkey are to restore my Alienware laptop back to the stage when I

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Is just need to know what the hotkey are to restore my Alienware laptop back to the stage when I unboxed it. I know this will erase all of my games, photos, movies and such but I need to do it for some reasons.

And before I leave this to you, will any drivers and software which already were installed on the laptop when I got it from the box still be there or do I have to download and install them too?

Thanks

Note: I got no system recovery cd, I only got the operating system cd, so I have to find a way to do this without a cd.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello FreddeN,

If my memory serves me correctly, Dell factory restore partitions are accessible throught the MBR.

Press F8 immediately after the BIOS Splash screen (alien face???) but before Windows begins to load. You have only a small window of opportunity to hit F8... so If you start to load to Windows, restart the computer and try again.

This will bring up the Advanced Boot Options menu. You will choose the Repair option. It should take you to a menu where you can perform the factory restore.

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You should get a message on Splash screen or black DOS screen telling you what key to hit. It's usually F11 or Alt F11. You will loose all information you had before unless you backup first.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks, the correct key was F8 after the Alienware logo, then I selected the Repair option from the menu and it sent me to the AlienRespawn service which within a minute restored my laptop back to factory settings.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddeN View Post
Thanks, the correct key was F8 after the Alienware logo, then I selected the Repair option from the menu and it sent me to the AlienRespawn service which within a minute restored my laptop back to factory settings.

Thanks for the help.
Glad we could be of assistance!

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Closed Thread