Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] Lenovo T61 hard drive broken

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Lenovo T61 hard drive broken within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, My Lenovo T61 (WinXP) crashed and won't boot anymore. I ran a full hardware diagnostic with the diagnostic program

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

My Lenovo T61 (WinXP) crashed and won't boot anymore.
I ran a full hardware diagnostic with the diagnostic program (pcdoctor) and got several "failed" on the hard drive tests as well as one "failed" on SMBIOS.

What to do? (warranty ran out 2 months ago - of course)

Can I just buy a new hard drive (recommendations?) and use the "Rescue&Recovery" DVDs I created a while back to reinstall the system?
Will this bring back the operating system or do I need to pay Lenovo support to send me the Windows CDs?

Also, what does the SMBIOS fail mean?

Thanks!
Norbert

Old 03-14-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

replace the hard drive

lenovo will have the reinstall disk available for d/load on the d/load page for your laptop

Old 03-15-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

SMBIOS fail: You have the new Santa Rosa chipset. If memory serves, when not utilized, the Santa Rosa chipset can shut down one of the two cores, leaving only one core active. It could be that during boot up, only one core is active. And once the testing programs sees only one core is active, subsequent test results will be reported as faulty.
You are probably going to have to send your laptop back to Lenovo to replace your processor.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

For the smbios fail I found from PC-Doctor, Inc. - Computer Hardware Diagnostic Software (under the section "Tests & Devices") :
Quote:
What should I do if the SMBIOS Standards Test fails?

Answer: The SMBIOS Standards Test is intended for preproduction design testing only. The test checks to see that information about a computer conforms to all required and optional sections of the SMBIOS specification. Test failures usually occur when an optional entry is left blank. Failures do not affect system performance or reliability. The results can safely be ignored.

I also swapped the hard drive and reinstalled the system from the R&R discs. I am back in business...

Thanks,
Norbert
Old 03-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

glad you have it sorted