Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] Laptop running too slow

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Laptop running too slow within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, This problem has been occurring from the past few days. Whenever I run my laptop on battery, it becomes

Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
This problem has been occurring from the past few days. Whenever I run my laptop on battery, it becomes slow. Even after I plug in the charger, it continues to run slowly. But if I run the laptop continuously on AC power, it shows no problem. Please help.
System specifications:
HP G62 laptop
Core I3 2.4 GHz
3 GB RAM
320 GB HDD
1 GB ATI HD5470 Graphics Card dedicated.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

OS: Windows 7 64bit Professional (SP1), Windows 8.1 64bit

My System

Check this sticky out here:

Caring for your notebook computer.

I recommend these:
Windows 7 & 8.1, Office 2013, Photoshop CS6, IE11
Security Essentials, Asus, Dell, Samsung,
Intel, NVidia, Xbox One, Android, Gigabyte
Masterchiefxx17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry but I didn't understand. The article is about how to use the laptop but not on what to do if a problem occurs.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Run this HP health check to see if it comes up with anything and it will be worth saving the URL to a Wordpad doc for future ref. HP System Check for Notebook PCs such as for driver updates etc.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

OS: Windows 7 64bit Professional (SP1), Windows 8.1 64bit

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulari View Post
Sorry but I didn't understand. The article is about how to use the laptop but not on what to do if a problem occurs.
Follow these two sections here:

Regular cleaning and maintenance is extremely important. & Defragment your hard drive regularly

Then also take a look at this: Is your PC running slow...?

I recommend these:
Windows 7 & 8.1, Office 2013, Photoshop CS6, IE11
Security Essentials, Asus, Dell, Samsung,
Intel, NVidia, Xbox One, Android, Gigabyte
Masterchiefxx17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

In addition to what chief advised you can also check third party power plans management software, i.e. HP software.

In your first thread you said you were getting your laptop repaired, is it the same? Is this happening since repaired? Oh, and can you close the older thread?

Try Harder!
Learn2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hi,
Defragmenting hasn't solved the issue.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Have you run the HP System checks yet as in my previous post ?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Registered Member

Yes, I have run it and it showed no errors.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Does your battery show as fully charged in the Taskbar and have you checked to see if you get the same problem when running in Safe Mode with Networking via tapping F8 on bootup ?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Registered Member

The battery shows as fully charged. And I am not getting the problem when running in Safe Mode with Networking. But the videos are not playing smoothly, might be due to the reason that the graphics driver is not working in safe mode.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

I guess that the next step would be entering msconfig as an Adminstrator from the cmd prompt and under Services tick the box to Hide All MS Services

Untick all of the remaining boxes >> Apply >> OK >> Reboot the computer. You will then have to reinstate them one by one, rebooting with each to see if any are the cause of the power drain.

Prior to doing that, after running on battery for say 30 mins, switch off, remove the AC cord (if connected) and turn the laptop over to check if the battery is displaying excessive heat. If it is, then remove it and examine the pins on the laptop as well as the connections on the battery for signs of overheating as well as any misalignment. They could be brownish with overheating but also ensure they are clean, otherwise.

As the slow running doesn't occur in Safe Mode etc then the additional load of the Services, rather than a particular service could be the cause, but you will still need to go through the elimination steps.

If it is running hot, then you could be looking at a new battery.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
Registered Member

I do not know what happened. After unticking all of them and rebooting, I ticked the first one and everything seemed all right. After that, I enabled all of them, rebooted and no problem is there at all. Only the Adobe Flash Player Update Service is not getting enabled. And by mistake I had stopped all services including MS services.Even after I have clicked enable all, some are still disabled.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

What you will need to do is to restore to an earlier point.

From All Control Panel Items click on System then System Protection (in left pane), click on System Restore then the radio button for Choose a different restore point/Next

Choose one immediately prior to altering the Services config, you can check to see which programs are affected if you want for ref. but this will be academic.

Once you've completed that and rebooted for it to take effect, check to see if you have the same slow running on battery.

If you have then repeat the procedure via msconfig and this time click the Hide all MS services button first before unticking the rest, then start the reinstate.

Don't worry about the Flash Update Service not being enabled, mine is ticked but showing as Stopped. In the recent Flash update, you now get the options for either Auto Update, Notify First or Never Notify.

If you haven't got the current Flash Player, then after you've got this sorted uninstall your current Flash using the appropriate uninstaller Uninstall Flash Player | Windows then from Adobe - Downloads you can download the current version if you haven't already done so. The first link also gives the current status of your Flash Player.