Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] installing winXP partition on Win7 laptop

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] installing winXP partition on Win7 laptop within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I want to install a WinXP partition to my ACER 5738G laptop, it has Win7, I want to do it

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

I want to install a WinXP partition to my ACER 5738G laptop, it has Win7, I want to do it to play cirtain games that are not compatible with Win7 even in Compatability mode, When I boot from my XP disk to install a partition it does its thing but before it gets to the menu where you can select to create partitions etc.. I get a bluescreen of death, how can I go about installing a partition without the bluescreen or how can I get the games to work with Win7?

thank you.

also~ yes the WinXP disk is legit, yes my Win7 is legit and yes I've searched and the general consensus is you can't do it with a disk, what can I do it with, without reformatting.

Specifically the game I wish to play on this laptop is Sim City 4 Deluxe. I know its old, I know some may not enjoy it but I do. Don't judge

Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Installing XP on a SATA drive requires an additional step:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...ws_xp_on_a.htm

However, Most newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting,

change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( could be IDE Mode, Compatibility Mode or Legacy Mode - different BIOS use different terms )

some will say IDE instead of ATA)

If there are no such settings you'll need to slipstream the sata drivers on the XP CD, follow the instructions in this guide :

http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slip...rs-into-xp-cd/

or

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-installation/

Since changeing the BIOS setting to IDE will keep the windows 7 from running, slipstreaming the SATA driver is probably your best choice

Old 04-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

I will do this now, however once i have will i have to change this setting in the BIOS inorder to boot into XP or Win7 each time i want to switch OS? or is it just for install then i can change back to what it was at first so I can boot into both Win7 and XP?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

No changeing back . . the easiest thing is to slipstream the sata drivers so it is not conflicting with win 7
Old 04-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

bawls, I made a partition, over a 13gb partition called PQsomething, I thought it was useless since Win7 is installed on the same C partiiton as the majority of my files and it was only 13gb now when i boot up into Win7 i get this error saying something about hardware configuration and booting, i can write it down exactly if its important however When im installing XP it gets to the welcome to XP screen and says there is an "CPU redundancy check" error or disk redundancy check, so i deleted the partition to go back to win7 and got the error i mentioned at the top, looking for the win7 disk to see what went wrong

dont some research and found out what i did, formatted the PQSERVICES partition, basically i royally screwed up. i didnt find anyway to fix this so far, how is it possible?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

basically I really screwed up and tried to installed WInXP on my Win7 ACER ASPIRE 5738G laptop over the PQSERVICE partiiton not knowing what it was, now i know however it is gone, reformatted completely and XP wont even install, now I cant boot into anything, how can i fix this? win7 and all my data is still on the C partition.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi you will need to slipstream the xp disc and sata driver http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slip...rs-into-xp-cd/ and you will need the other xp drivers
http://gd.panam.acer.com/home/

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

I cant it wont boot into any OS anymore, since i deleted the PQSERVICE partiition, how can i boot into Win7 without PQservice? how can i restore PQservice? i did the changing of the SATA mode to IDE or whatever but when i install WinXP it gets to the welcome screen and then there is an error, it wont boot into anything, i need PQSERVICE back or a way of getting it to win7 without it?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:13 AM   #9
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

The PQ SERVICES partition was the system resoration feature .. sounds like you have hosed that.

Your best bet at this stage is probably to set the BIOS to use SATA as IDE, boot from a XP installation disc and delete all the partitions and start over. Set up one partition for XP and one for Windows 7.

Are you sure Accer has XP Drivers for that puppy?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Registered Member

yeah, they exist, do you think formatting the entire HDD and installing XP will remove the error I have with the welcome screen in XP? as mentioned above.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi I have seen drives wiped with killdisk and still take a new install of a os

Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

It should . . be sure to install XP first, then windows 7 . . then you should have a dual boot system
Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Registered Member

nope, it gets a data "error: Cyclic redundancy check" error when i get to the XP welcome screen.

EDIT~ did some research and found out its probably a currupt XP cd, going to try another one, will report back :)

EDIT2~ ok, now it did the welcome thing until it gets to another point just seconds later and there is some missing .dlls (related to language packs aparantly) so i click cancel and continue setup without the file then it goes on for a bit and the screen goes black, now whenever I boot up into the setup it just goes black and turns off
Old 04-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #14
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

I have merged your two threads . . please do not post multiple times for the same question . .
Old 04-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #15
Registered Member

balls balls balls balls it seems both of the disks are screwed, going to find another, will report back once i have a working one
Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpswr View Post
I have merged your two threads . . please do not post multiple times for the same question . .
i figured since this one started about XP and ended up about reformatting the PQSERVICES partition it was a diff issue, never mind, duly noted.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #17
Registered Member

thank you all so much! XP is now running, wont be able to get my hands on a win7 disk until tomorrow but its ok, just grabbing the drivers for it and im sorted, god i love this forum. thank you both so much.

/solved
Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #18
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Your welcome

Old 04-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #19
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Glad you got it sorted . .

Closed Thread