Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] HP Pavilion dv8000 suddenly crashes

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] HP Pavilion dv8000 suddenly crashes within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a dv8000t with the same sudden shutdown problem. I've read posts all over with no real certain answers.

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #21
Registered Member

I have a dv8000t with the same sudden shutdown problem. I've read posts all over with no real certain answers. Xonikz above mentioned the power supply possibility. I bought a new AC adapter - not from HP - about a week ago and I'm thinking that it may somehow be to blame. I never had the shutdown problem before using it. I'm wondering if anyone else experiencing this problem also switched to a new AC charger recently.

I bought the new charger because one of my kids tripped over the power cord and it ruined the connector on the old one. It may also have done damage to the DC input jack on the laptop. Did anyone else with this problem have a DC input jack problem recently? Just an idea. :)

Old 03-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #22
Registered Member

Well, I'm back and happy to say I have it working.

The heat issue does actually seem to be the problem. I reopened it; got the silver paste instead of the cheap stuff; replaced the paste on the cpu; then, just for good-luck sake, replaced the blue goo-pad-thingy between the heat sink and the GPU with silver paste as well. It's running now and well. Played Oblivion on it just to check for possible crashing based on heat... no problem. The fan, however is back to making a low rattling noise and I think the bearing is a bit worn out or something. The replacement is 40 bucks and that's a heck of a lot better than having to buy a whole new laptop.

I'm not certain what caused the initial shutdown, but I'm willing to live in suspense for now.

(to Ibarry)
The power supply is finicky in all electronics. It's almost always better to stay in-brand when buying replacements.

Going to bed happy now...330a

Old 03-09-2008, 05:45 AM   #23
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

xonikz
glad you have yours sorted
Old 03-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #24
Registered Member

Hi there, I'm new to this site, I'm actually having the same issue, stupid me , i already purchased my heat sink on eBay, it should be here any day. Mine shut down on me constantly, I'm hoping to fix it and resell it on eBay.

I just built my home computer and its amazing fast compared to that junk
Old 03-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #25
Registered Member

Yup, it's slow comparatively... but it's also almost three years old as models go. Dv8135 me.

You should look into "gaming Laptops" if you're looking for speed.

I'm still using the dv8000 for minor animation and editing. It works fine for photoshop too.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #26
Registered Member

Sorry for the double post, but...

If anyone knows of an upgrade (hopefully dual-core) processor available for the laptop 745 socket, let me know.

Yes, that's the socket this laptop has.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #27
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

i had the same exact problem. i rigged up my own cooling unit using a card board box and 2 antec fans hooked up to an old phone charger. i directed the flow into the bottom of the laptop using a peice of cardboard as a ramp and used the other fan to pull the hot air out of the vent on the back left side. This may sound funny but this is all i had and i did this so i could re-load windows on my cpu. I was running windows vista basic and just recently the cpu started running very hot and shutting off under normal use (even if it was just sitting there). I used my ghetto cooling box to load windows XP pro on here (because XP is what came on it originally). Finally after it loaded and everything was back to normal the cpu does not over heat anymore. It gets warm at times but only if playing games or watching movies. Just like it did when i first bought it. But it will not turn off. The fan works fine now, sometimes makes a little noise but it IS working fine. I don't know if there was some virus or soemthing that was causeing the cpu to work harder than it was supposed to or what it was. But i did notice that there was an update for my processor when i ran windows update and it said something to the extent of it was an update to allow the processor to be modified for performance. Maybe this helped it not overheat? Either way i have yet to have any more problems and haven't had to use my ghetto box. But i will keep it handy just in case. hopes this helps you out. If you want a new fan i found the whole assembly on ebay for $35-$45. I might invest in that just in case and i also have a bad battery that i need to replace.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #28
Registered Member

my dv8000 had been randomly powering off on its own. Just sitting idle.
I use it in a fairly dusty enviroment. I suspected it was overheating and blew it out, no change. I took it in to the shop I bought it and told them my concern, adding the suggestion to take it apart, re-paste the cpu to the cooler. They phoned me after 3 days telling me they blew it out and stress tested it for 48 hrs and it didnt shut down so all was ok. But recommended that I buy a new fan as mine didnt move alot of air. "Maybe the fan is worn out" is what i was told. They took my 80 dollars diagnostic fee and returned my laptop. It was home for 1 day and shut down again while running an excel document. I pulled mine apart. (ABOUT AN HOUR)
On top of the cpu cooler and partially obstructing the fan was a patch of unidentified adhesive material approx 2" x 2". i removed the fan / cooling unit and cleaned it out. (not very dirty) but the heat conducting paste was crystalized. I replaced the compound with the silver paste and reassembled. It sure moves alot of air now.. hasnt shut off since,,
Could have used that 80 dollars for beer....
Old 04-25-2008, 05:25 AM   #29
Registered Member

well i thought my problem was fixed but it is not. Sometimes i turn my cpu on and my fan will not turn on at all. The ONLY time i cant get my fan to turn on is when i leave my cpu running without the fan and let it get hot then after it shuts off, most of the time when i turn it back on the fan will work. I had to pull out my little ghetto box and fans again just to reply to this damnn forum and check my email or the thing will cut off. I just ordered a new fan off ebay and some of the arctic silver heat paste and plan to put that in this weekend. I will let everyone know how it goes and ill be sure to watch for obstacles blocking the fan. I did notice on the bottom of mine there is a piece of plastic covering the hole on the bottom but there was another forum about that and HP said that was part of the design. Well thats a ****** design and im gonna pull it out so the fan will be able to pull more air. I will tell everyone how it goes.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #30
Registered Member

Grin

that must be what was in mine too. its like an adhesive patch. Mine didnt go back in. Since the
repaste with "arctic silver 5" , 2 days ago, mine hasnt shut down.
and Ive tried decoding and ripping a DVD to work it a bit.
Stupid engineers...lol. lets block the airflow thru the case. I also installed
a set of laptop feet. Neat little flip up feet for laptops, creates an airspace underneath. and they have adhesive backing. they have 3 positions. down, step 1 and step 2. i actually like the angle of the keyboard better with them. (myself im prone to not hitting the spacebar hard enough...doohhhh!
Old 04-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #31
Registered Member

i replaced my fan and removed all the dust. Used arctic silver5 when reinstalling my heat sink and so far everything is working well. Fan comes on and works normal again and cpu has not turned off yet. Doesn't seem to get as hot to the touch as it used to and the fan doesn't continuously run at a high speed. I believe i fixed the problem. Don't know if it was the fan, the paste, or the dust in the heat sink ribs, but its working right now and im happy.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #32
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

Wally91chevy,

i believe the problem was overheating and you just fixed it...

Old 04-28-2008, 05:35 AM   #33
Registered Member

I posted to this thread back in March and I just thought I'd update my situation and make an observation. My shutdown problem went away as soon as I got rid of my generic AC adapter and went back to an HP OEM AC adapter. I had never had this problem until I started using the generic adapter. I don't think that means that temperature is not a factor. Since many of you seem to have found relief by making changes to the heat situation on the laptop, my guess is that the generic AC adapter charged the battery too quickly and made it too hot causing the shutdown. I would guess that anything that reduces the heat in the box helps including the ac adapter and maybe the condition of the battery itself. I don't know for sure, but I would guess that an older battery takes longer to charge and more heat is generated while it is charging.

This is all conjecture of course, but if you adapter is generic or your battery is old, you might want to look into these issues too.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:21 AM   #34
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

hi lbarry,

that is a good observation and you have a very good point. thanks for sharing.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbarry View Post
I posted to this thread back in March and I just thought I'd update my situation and make an observation. My shutdown problem went away as soon as I got rid of my generic AC adapter and went back to an HP OEM AC adapter. I had never had this problem until I started using the generic adapter. I don't think that means that temperature is not a factor. Since many of you seem to have found relief by making changes to the heat situation on the laptop, my guess is that the generic AC adapter charged the battery too quickly and made it too hot causing the shutdown. I would guess that anything that reduces the heat in the box helps including the ac adapter and maybe the condition of the battery itself. I don't know for sure, but I would guess that an older battery takes longer to charge and more heat is generated while it is charging.

This is all conjecture of course, but if you adapter is generic or your battery is old, you might want to look into these issues too.
Barry, Your last sentence might sum it all up. I thought I had mine fixed with repasteing the heat sink.. It needed to be done anyways. I recently purchased an aftermarket AC adapter. My battery is 3 years old.
Im using a program called speedfan V4.34 to monitor cpu temp.Just as a test I removed my battery and am trying it on AC power only... with the generic adapter..that I purchased shortly before this all occurred. So far, its looking good.. I cant help but wonder if it might be just the battery. I was running mine on battery power yesterday and it overtemp shutdowned on me. Ill keep you guys updated. thx Barry. Hope this is a step in the right direction.. I cant help but think its not a fan issue. Mine does come on.. its clean and not noisy...

Cheers
DAVE
Old 05-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #36
Registered Member

BTW, with speedfan V4.34 I am seeing cpu temperatures of 50-57C with the battery out and running a disk defragment.(4-5% cpu usage) I am curious what other people are seeing for temperatures? is mine now normal or still hot?
I never ran Speedfan until I started having an issue.
If it matters, Mine is a DV8000 AMD Turion 64 mobile 2.19GHz, ML-40, 2 Gigabites of RAM, Radeon Express 200M 128MB video and (2) 120 GB Drives.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:48 AM   #37
Registered Member

Hi people,

It's a relief to find that I'm not the only one having issues with my dv8000 notebook.

I've had this laptop for almost 2 years now, and has already been in repairs 3 times. Twice was a motherboard replacement that seemed to fix my issue temporarily. I really can say that the repairers are hopeless.

Anyway, I am experiencing all the same shutdown symptoms as most of you are. My laptop will shutdown randomly, but lately it has been happening a lot more quicker, ie as soon as startup processes are being loaded, it will shutdown.

Given said that, if I put the power plan into power saving mode, the laptop does not randomly shut down at all. Only in high performance mode, or balanced does it start exhibiting issues. I really don't want to take it back to the repairers because its such a long drive, not to mention the 2-3 week waiting time.

If anyone...anyone at all can shine some light on the issue, I will greatly appreciate it, because I've reached a point where if this issue keeps happening, this laptop will be taking a trip. Straight out of my 18th floor window.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:14 AM   #38
Registered Member

a while back i re pasted my cpu and replaced my fan, occasionally i still do have random shutdowns. Only thing i havn't checked is the battery like the other guy said. I do have a bad battery, wont hold a charge. I had a generic adapter a while back and purchased an HP one again because it wouldnt stay connected. All this could be linked to the overheating problem. But since i've pasted my cpu, it hasn't shut off but once and that was when the fan failed to start up. For some reason, the fan wont turn on on a cold start up. Did it with the old fan too, dont know what the problem is.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #39
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Sekter

I also have this same type of notebook, and experienced this symptom a couple times. I have had problems with my fan, and it needs to be replaced ( I have one on the way right now). I was just curious, if replacing the thermal pads with thermal paste was ok? I'm not sure, but it's what I did and it seems to be ok, but still....not sure if there is enough on there, or if thats ok to do. Makes sense to me...it's the same **** right? lol anyway, ill report when I get my new fan for if I have any problems. Thanks though
Old 06-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #40
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Sekter

this is the same user, I replaced the fan because mine made lots of noise...and now this new one is making noise as well...could it be the case or something else causing the fan to make a bad noise like it's hitting something? When I manually spin it, there is no contact with anything else and there are no marks on the fan housing ( or anything around it). Not sure what else could be the problem, also I replaced the Thermal pads with the silver paste...not sure if thats ok? Are the pads there for a reason? The temperatures get up to 50-60 degrees C. I saw some people say they removed a peice of the plastic on the inside to help air flow, which piece? Sorry for all of the questions, and thanks in advance.