Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] HP G71 Laptop - just a $600 paper weight??

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] HP G71 Laptop - just a $600 paper weight?? within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Good day all, I am having a problem with a refurbished HP G71-449WM laptop that I purchased last Fall from

Old 06-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

Good day all,

I am having a problem with a refurbished HP G71-449WM laptop that I purchased last Fall from Best Buy. Worked fine for a while, but then the screen started flickering intermittently. Long story short, I sent it back to HP, and they replaced the motherboard under warranty. Great! Not too long after receiving it back, it started hanging upon booting up. Called HP, but by that time the warranty had expired and they wanted $49 just to do troubleshooting. I told them to forget it. The hang grew worse over time and now the laptop will not boot up at all; it powers up, the indicator lights come on, but just a black screen. I'm certain it is not a display issue because the hard drive light isn't showing any activity as it would if it were booting up. I performed a "hard reset" as per HP's tech support website, re-seated the memory sticks, switched their positions, and ran each stick solo in the primary slot, as well as checking the hard drive connection, still nothing. I also tried removing the HDD to see if I get the HP splash screen, but still nothing. I did a little homework on this model, and have heard that there is an inherent problem with the motherboard design. Has anyone ever heard the same thing? If so, is there anything I can do about it, or am I stuck with a $600 paper weight? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Brian

Old 06-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Registered Member

So, I did a little research, and (not surprisingly) there appears to be a problem with their motherboard design...

So, my guess is that the motherboard died, however, you could try some basic troubleshooting to make sure the problem is the motherboard...

Try removing everything that you can from the laptop, DVD drive, hard drive, wireless card, try with only 1 stick of ram, and then try the other... if it all fails, and you have the possibility, I would try the ram in another computer...

If you still can't boot the laptop after those tests, then most probably, the motherboard died. Check on your area (or ebay) if there is a reballing service near you, they might confirm the motherboard is really dead, and see if they can fix it (in Mexico they do it for 50 bucks...)

Good luck!!!!

Old 06-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hey Isra,

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try. One thing is for sure, I'll never buy HP again.

Brian
Old 06-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

You're very welcome, try that and let us know how it went!!
And yeah, I run a small business in Mexico and I see a looooot of dead HP's, I don't recommend them AT ALL
Old 06-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Before giving up, I would run diagnostics on the hard drive

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

See this for how to make a bootable cd:

How to Burn a Bootable ISO File
Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the response. I actually ran the HP HDD diagnostics that are contained within the BIOS several times before the PC stopped working completely, and it turned up nothing. Along that same line of thinking, I just pulled the HDD and connected it to my Dell laptop using a SATA to USB adapter cable, and was able to access the drive and all the files without a problem. Does this mean that the drive is good, or could there still be a problem within the HDD that is not allowing for boot up? Is there any way to run the TACKtech diagnostics within Windows, or do I have to be in DOS mode?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 06-05-2011, 05:51 AM   #7
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Sounds like the mother board is a history major
Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
Registered Member

I figured as much. Thanks for the input.

Brian
Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorese View Post
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the response. I actually ran the HP HDD diagnostics that are contained within the BIOS several times before the PC stopped working completely, and it turned up nothing. Along that same line of thinking, I just pulled the HDD and connected it to my Dell laptop using a SATA to USB adapter cable, and was able to access the drive and all the files without a problem. Does this mean that the drive is good, or could there still be a problem within the HDD that is not allowing for boot up? Is there any way to run the TACKtech diagnostics within Windows, or do I have to be in DOS mode?

Thanks,

Brian
There's a Seagate software called Seatools, which allows you to run tests on hard drives from within windows (even different brands).

Try the Long DST and Long Generic tests to see if your drive is working ok...

Cheers!