Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] Hp dv7 shuts off randomly

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Hp dv7 shuts off randomly within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently cleaned the fan on it because it was working over time. Now after it is all back together,

Old 09-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

I recently cleaned the fan on it because it was working over time. Now after it is all back together, it boots up and then shuts off instantly. Usually within 10-30sec. No warning message or blue screen. Is this an over heating issue? I know the fan is clean, so how long would it take for the processor to overheat to shut it off if the heat sink was not properly installed (no heat sink epoxy)? Did i mess something up when taking it apart?

Any sugesstions?

Old 09-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

OS: XPP32; W7P64; W7U64; W8P32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 4.1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patr1707 View Post

I recently cleaned the fan on it because it was working over time. Now after it is all back together, it boots up and then shuts off instantly. Usually within 10-30sec. No warning message or blue screen. Is this an over heating issue?
More than likely, yes.

Quote:

I know the fan is clean, so how long would it take for the processor to overheat to shut it off if the heat sink was not properly installed (no heat sink epoxy)?
1) It is designed to shut down right before it gets hot enough to start melting itself and possibly starting a fire.

2) You need to use " Thermal Grease" between the heatsink and the top of the CPU (central processing unit).

Quote:

Did i mess something up when taking it apart?
Unfortunately, it kind of sounds that way.

Quote:

Any sugesstions?
As mentioned above, apply the proper amount of thermal grease between the heatsink and CPU and test.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

Not sure what I did, but I took it all apart again. Put some thermal grease stuff on the heat sink, put it all bavk together and presto! It works fine again! So happy it wasn't an expensive fix. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

OS: XPP32; W7P64; W7U64; W8P32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 4.1.2

You're welcome. Good to hear the problem's been resolved. Thanks for letting us know. :)
Old 09-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

Whenever the heatsink is removed, or the seal between the heatsink/CPU is disturbed, the old thermal paste should be thoroughly cleaned from both surfaces and reapplied.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote