Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] Display driver keeps crashing

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Display driver keeps crashing within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Here's my system: ASUS K52J Laptop Windows 7 Home Premium ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 1GB itel CORE i5 4GB

Old 08-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Here's my system:

ASUS K52J Laptop
Windows 7 Home Premium
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 1GB
itel CORE i5
4GB DDR2 RAM

The problem:

Whenever I watch a video, my computer will freeze. When it recovers, I will get the "Your device driver has crashed" message.

It doesn't matter how I watch the videos, they all crash. Through the internet and on physical files on my hard drive...they all crash. The ONLY videos I can watch is SD Youtube videos.

Here's what I tried:

- Uninstalled and re-installing my display driver. Didn't work.
- Uninstalled and re-installed the Catalyst software. Didn't work.
- Used a software to clean all my temp/registry files. Didn't work.
- Formatted and did a clean install of Windows 7 HP. Worked for 2 days and now I'm back to everything freezing.

It's starting to sound like my graphics card is pooched = my laptop is shot. And the factory warranty just expired too.

Am I right to assume hardware issue or is there something I haven't tried yet?

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello libbs and welcome to TSF,

Are you updated to the latest Radeon drivers?

Try rolling back the driver to the previous version.

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
GZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinzach View Post
Hello libbs and welcome to TSF,

Are you updated to the latest Radeon drivers?

Try rolling back the driver to the previous version.
Through the AMD site, I only have the option to download the latest Catalyst software (and I was only assuming it contained the graphic card driver).

I also used Windows to search and update the device driver and it says it's up to date. I'm downloading the actual Radeon driver.

What would rolling back the driver do? Unless the driver updated itself, the freezing problem just started out of the blue.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

You can also try blowing out the vents with compressed air. had a simaliar problem with girlfreinds laptop was full of dust. after cleaning it out worked like it used too.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
oscer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yes I just cleaned out my laptop. I think I have it figured out. I think it's an overheating issue.

I've been running my laptop on the coach next to me... my vent/fan is on the side so I'd think it was alright.

Took the laptop and sat it on the coffee table for the last 2 hours and now my freezing has stopped (tested a few different kinds of video and none froze).

Whats a good way to keep my laptop cool because when I'm home I like to keep my laptop on my lap while I'm sitting in my recliner.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

should do that monthly anyways to help keep it cool. you can purchace a lap stand to keep it off your lap so it gets good air flow to disapated the heat. you also could get a tv tray to set it on. here is a great sticky you should read Caring for your notebook computer.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscer1 View Post
should do that monthly anyways to help keep it cool. you can purchace a lap stand to keep it off your lap so it gets good air flow to disapated the heat. you also could get a tv tray to set it on. here is a great sticky you should read Caring for your notebook computer.
Thanks!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

your welcome,