Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] Blank screen with many small horizontal black lines

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Blank screen with many small horizontal black lines within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all... Even though I read the forum for the valuable information it has, I hadn't registered yet, mainly because

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all... Even though I read the forum for the valuable information it has, I hadn't registered yet, mainly because most questions I had almost always were answered by searching...
Now I did because I'm stuck in a problem and didn't found much by using the search function. I would appreciate any help! ! !

I have a Satellite P305D-S8818, and today I tried to turn it on, only to find a white screen with flickering thin and horizontal black lines...

By tapping the screen a bit, the black lines change location (it's a 1.5" inch stripe barely separated black lines)

I plugged the laptop to an external monitor, and image showed fine... So, I guess it boils down to 2 options... either a connection got loose, or the screen somehow got damaged (thinking back, yesterday I did moved it in my car loose on the back seat and it sort of moved on a tight curve and not so badly smashed on the door (it was turned off)).

So I proceed to open it to check the connections first... it all seems ok...
So... would it be the monitor?? Or the inverter?? What do you guys think...?

I do have a dv6000 dissasembled laptop with a good screen... and I'm seeing that even though the HP screen is smaller, the connector that goes into the LCD itself is the same...

Would it be ok to try it? Or is there a possibility that the dv6000 screen would get damaged?
Are the inverters the same??

I would definetly appreciate any help provided!!!
Thanks!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Yes, you could use the cable and inverter from your laptop to power the smaller screen.
You should be able to verify the display. This is how I test displays for functionality. As long as the connectors are the same. Be sure the cable is inserted into the socket properly.

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinzach View Post
Yes, you could use the cable and inverter from your laptop to power the smaller screen.
You should be able to verify the display. This is how I test displays for functionality. As long as the connectors are the same. Be sure the cable is inserted into the socket properly.

Thank you for the fast response!
Another question, I connected the power button back without assembling it.
Right now it has the hard drive and battery removed and wifi card without cables.
Is it ok to try to turn it on like this connecting it with the charger?
The last time I tried something like this, the laptop didn't turn on, and then I assembled it, and it didn't turn on again, had to reset the CMOS and then it turned on... I don't understand why though.

NEVERMIND... it did turn on... and showed image on the screen without a problem... soooo... the screen is dead!

THANK you!!! I appreciate the kind help :)
Old 05-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

I am happy to help!
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Closed Thread