Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Asus A6R weird screen problem

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  johanavi 
#1 ·
My Asus A6R has developed a weird screen problem that comes and goes. Shortly after switch-on, the screen sometimes starts to flicker up and down for a while and then jumps to a mode with a little blue bar in the top left corner while the whole screen echoes a 16 or 32-pixel high line above (see the attached pictures).

Display device Electronics Technology Screen Electronic device

Text Font Technology Electronic device Screenshot

It might, or might as well not, be related to bringing it into a warm room from the cold and moist outside. Sometimes I can get rid of it by closing and reopening the lid, or by attaching an extra screen. On other occasions I just switch it off and try again the next day, when it either still has the same problem or it is completely okay again for a while.

Does anybody have a clue as to what might be going on?

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Asus A6R weird screen problem

Hello again johanavi,

First thing to do is follow oscer1's suggestion.

It seems, to me, you either have a bad connection or a failing video cable.

Try this.

When the issue presents itself, tap the screen lightly on the back side and see if the image corrects itself or gets worse.

Try closing the lid to just before it triggers the sleep mode and slowly open it until it is fully open. Note any changes in the screens image.

Remove the bezel that is directly above the keyboard and undo the keyboard screws. Gently lift the keyboard out of the way (be sure not to put stress on the ribbon cable). Locate the video cables connection to the motherboard. Check to make sure that it is seated securely. Do not disconnect and reconnect it with the laptop power on, you may inadvertantly short the connection.

While the connection and wires are exposed, turn the laptop on and wait for it to boot into Windows. Once it is loaded to the screen, gently move the video cable around (where it goes into the screen bezel, by the hinge). Note any changes in the image on the screen.

Post back with the results.

#4 ·
Re: Asus A6R weird screen problem

Hi guys,

Things have improved a lot at the moment. I waited for the situation to be really bad, the screen was flickering like mad and nothing I could do from the outside seemed to help very much. Then I followed the instructions to remove the front cover of the screen and the "half pipes" that cover the cables and the joints. In this way I could see and carefully manipulate the video cables. I wiggled them a bit with the laptop switched on, but the screen was steady after all the manhandling of the computer and stayed that way. So, my guess is that uncovering the cables already did the trick, for now at least. But it does seem to proof the hypothesis that it's a cable problem. Next time it happens I think I know what to do and how to do it without having to take all the screws out of the back :wink:

Thanks for the assistance, you've got a great forum going,
Johanavi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.