Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] Administrator take over

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Administrator take over within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a laptop with Windows XP Professional w/ SP 2. I am having problems with The Administrator take over

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

I have a laptop with Windows XP Professional w/ SP 2. I am having problems with The Administrator take over of my computer...I have no permission to add or remove programs...to do system restore...I have even tried to re-install Windows..but to no avail...I have been reading about these problems...but so far...nothing has worked for me...can anyone out there help me...Somehow..the Administrator is also the guest...no one else is on the computer..

Thanks

Old 06-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
Roaming To Help

Hi

Is there anything you need to save on the computer?

Can you not login in Safe Mode (tap F8 on startup after first screen)

Can you list which security software protection you are using, such as AV/AS/firewall?

Did you log into the Administrator account?

Are you configured on a home network or a workgroup?

The Admin account is the most vulnerable account you should never really log in as, because it can be hijacked pretty easily by hackers.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Question

My computer is connected to internet by wireless router..useing a ethernet connection. I do have anti-virus software software running...I am unable is disable any of my programs..I do not have any type of privilages to even to a system restore on the computer...Somehow or another the Administrator files are missing...I have tried useing my Windows XP CD to do a patch..but am not allowed access to do any changes on my computer.
My OS is Windows XP Professional W Service Pack2 enuff said..from what I know other have problems too
Old 06-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Roaming To Help

rainbo55 I appreciate your reply but you have still not answered some questions I asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalim View Post
Is there anything you need to save on the computer [before wiping]?

Can you not login in Safe Mode? (tap F8 on startup after first screen)

Did you log into the Administrator account?
And add to that this:

Are you the Admin on your system? If not who is?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

Idea

1. I do not have nothing to save

2. Yes, I did log into Safe Mode

3. I tried to access Administrator Account, was denied access

4. No, I am not an Administrator, To My knowledge no one is just what is preset

This computer was tampered with when a friend of mine was using it...by his step-daughter...I do know that she had messed around in the regristry, but I do not know what was done
Old 06-26-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
Roaming To Help

There is always an Administrator account made at the time of Windows installation. Whoever can log into that can control your system and it's settings.

If the friend's step-daughter accessed that, she could set limitations on you and anyone else using the computer (user accounts). There won't be a way for anyone to reset that unless you contact her and make her redo it.

You will need the Admin account password for that.

If you have nothing to save or lose as you say, then format the computer and reinstall XP. There is no better "cleansing" possible.

Download Dban and burn it onto a CD/DVD/disk: http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Wipe your HDD using that. Then try to install XP on it again and remember what you set as your Admin password. It should all install fine now.

After it's installed you will need to install all motherboard/hardware drivers again by downloading them from the Internet.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

Question

Ok..I got the D Ban to uninstall my Windows...I put in my Windows CD..and turned on the computer and got this message: No Boot Sector On Hard Disk

Now what do I do...I have tried to get into my Bios to no avail...the computer that I am trying to fix is a back up computer. It is a Dell Latitude CPi A366XI with Bios A15 on it...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have you set the bios to boot from cd first
Old 06-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Roaming To Help

You will need to boot from the CD as dai mentioned - boot sectors are on the HDD, which means your system is still looking for the HDD to boot from.

Pressing F8 should let you rearrange your "boot from" device to CD ROM. That's what you need.

It may also be F2 (or is it maybe even F4 in your case), then you should be able to boot from CD.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Registered Member

still have not been able to get hard drive up and running..when I checked in BIOS...The first boot device is the CD drive..the second is Hard Drive...But checking further...I discovered that there is a configuration password set...that I have no access to...any way to get around that?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what brand is the laptop on my lenovo you have to replace the hard drive if you lose a hdd password you have set
Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Question

My laptop is a Dell Latitude CPi A366XI...The BIOS is A15...I did put another hard drive in it...in the BIOS....it recognized the new hard drive...but the message: No Boot Sector On Hard Drive...I do not have a boots disc..it just has a CD-ROM drive in it...I used my other computer to download and burn the D Ban software that you recommended...it worked great....The Pass word is in the BIOS Part that won't let me configure my new hard drive.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:15 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Are you the original owner of the laptop?

This and other laptops do not have a way to clear the password. You must call Dell and have them help you with this. You give them the service tag #. If you are the owner they have listed, they can give you a password to access the computer. If not, we can not help you.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #14
Registered Member

No, I bought It off Ebay..it ran fine till after the girl messed with it..makes me mad that other people mess with something that isn't theirs..but I appreciate the help that you have given me.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:28 PM   #15
Registered Member

Good new..I got the BIOS password disabled..and tried to install Windows...but still get: No Boot Sector On Hard Drive

I do not know how to get into formatt the hard drive..nor do I have a boot disk

Can anyone out there in this big wideworld web help me out??
Old 06-28-2007, 06:57 PM   #16
Roaming To Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbo55 View Post
Good new..I got the BIOS password disabled..and tried to install Windows...but still get: No Boot Sector On Hard Drive

I do not know how to get into formatt the hard drive..nor do I have a boot disk
Dban is formatting the drive.

But you've already done that, and your system is booting from the HDD again. Which means either you have not set it to boot from CD as advised earlier yet, or the CD data/surface is corrupt.

That error message means your are booting from the empty HDD rather than the CD, where you should be booting from.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #17
Registered Member

OK...I got the Windows Disc for my new Delland it seems to be working...It is in Windows Setup as I do this.....I will let you know how it does
Old 06-29-2007, 02:48 AM   #18
Registered Member

Good News...I got my computer up and running...am upgrading the drivers for it...everything turned out fine...Like to thank you all for helping me out...I installed Windows XP Home instead of Professional...