Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

[SOLVED] Acer ASPIRE 5520g boot problem (when turned on it turns off)

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Acer ASPIRE 5520g boot problem (when turned on it turns off) within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. It started as (probably) a BIOS problem: the computer would turn on normally, but the screen was blank. I tried

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

It started as (probably) a BIOS problem: the computer would turn on normally, but the screen was blank. I tried recovering BIOS with Acer BIOS recovery function (which I knew Acer Aspire One had, because I had the same problem with it and recovery helped), but I couldn't find any instructions/files on how to do it on Aspire 5520. So I took out the battery and disconected from charger and left it for a day, then turned it on again and this time it would show the Acer boot screen and then a blank screen, which looked like command-prompt window with just 'underscore' blinking in top left corner. Nothing happened after that so I turned it off holding the power button and then turned it on again, but this time I pressed F2 on boot screen to open BIOS window and restored it to factory defaults. This didn't help either so I tried recovering with ALT + F10, this just caused the computer to try and load windows but it would always just stop in the middle of loading proccess. I took the battery out again and left it for a day and then tried ALT + F10 again, this time eRecovery started and formatted my C: drive. Now, when I try to turn the computer on it starts, runs for a secdond or two and then turns itself off and then on again, runs for second or two, turns itself off an on again and so on...

Is there anything I can do to get it working again?

Computer: Acer Aspire 5520g

Any help appreciated.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

When u say a bios problem, were u trying to flash the bios and its got u into this trouble or do u know that it has actually got a bios fault?
Try reaseating ur RAM modules. Take out battery, remove power chord and hold start button for about a minute then restart. Tell me what happens.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

I didn't try to flash BIOS or anything. It just happened and the reason why i think it was BIOS problem is because the symptoms were the same as on my Aspire One (computer turned on, but not the screen) and BIOS recovery solved the problem.

I tried reseting RAM, diudn't solve the problem...

And also, I forgot to mention that when the problem was only computer booting up, but not the screen I tried connecting to external screen to see if it would work but it didn't.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Did ur acer come with vista?, have u recently made any major service pack updates or driver updates?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes, Vista was preinstalled (Home Premium). No service pack updates lately and no driver updates. The only driver problem I had was with a Canyon USB hub: if I had the hub connected to the computer when it was shutting down it would show a bluescreen which said that hub driver is causing problems. I would then just press te power button and computer would turn off (and next time I started it would say it recovered from fatal crash). So I always disconected hub from USB port before I turned off the computer and then computer turned off normally.

Which reminds me, another bluescreen I got from time to time lately, also when turning off the computer:

*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error
*** The system has halted ***

A friend told me that this has happened to him and it was because of low hard drive space, which made sense because I usually had very little free space on drive when this occured.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

There are many things that can cause Memory Parity Errors. Some can be incompatible drivers, bad memory etc.
Have you replaced ur memory at any time? (fitting the wrong memory type can cause this)
1.Try removing a stick of RAM at a time and start ur lappy. Try one stick in each slot to prove ur RAM.is ok.
2.If u can get into BIOS change to BIOS setting to default or Fail-Safe defaults.
3.Remove and uninstall this USB hub and its drivers, if u can.

Bottom line. U NEED to prove ur RAM is ok. U NEED to remove this Hub and drivers. U NEED to get ur BIOS back to default and u gotta get rid of all the C..P on ur HDD to give it space to breath. I think fixing one or all of these issues might do the trick dude........and if not we can then move on to something else.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
Registered Member

I didn't replace memory.

As I said, computer deosn't stay on for more than 2 seconds, I can't get into BIOS, so:

1. I tried removing one stick at a time and each slot, nothing.
2. Can't get into BIOS, but I have already tried with default settings when the problem was just 'black screen' and it hasn't changed anything.
3. Hub is disconnected, but I can't remove drivers or anything since the computer won't start...

EDIT: About the disk space: there are two partitions on the drive, C: and D:, each 120GB. C: has Windows installed and always has at least 20GB of free space, D: is te partition for all the downloaded files and stuff and this is the one with little free space.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Remove the hard drive and post back what happens.
Refit the hard drive and remove ur RAM and post back what happens.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

just read your edit. If u got plenty space on C this should not cause u memory problems unless u switch virtual memory to run on D.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_shift View Post
Remove the hard drive and post back what happens.
Refit the hard drive and remove ur RAM and post back what happens.
No change...
Old 09-22-2009, 06:48 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Just to recap,
1. Before the start of this problem was your lappy operating ok (neglect the usb hub issue)?
2. Acers usually have a hidden recovery partiton, u havent deleted this by accident have u? You would know if you had. Ive known people to find this partition with partitioning software and delete this to retrieve more disc space............no more recovery.
3. Do you have recovery disks or as you say recovery is only by Fn + F10.

Im just tryin to get a bigger picture.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #12
Registered Member

1. Yes.
2. No, I haven't.
3. I don't have recovery disks, ALT + F10 was the last thing I tried before this '2 second startup' happened (described in first post). But is there also Fn + F10 recovery option?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkijad View Post
Now, when I try to turn the computer on it starts, runs for a secdond or two and then turns itself off and then on again, runs for second or two, turns itself off an on again and so on...
Tell me does the above still happen with the HDD removed.

My mistake I meant to say ALT instead of Fn
Old 09-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #14
Registered Member

Yes, it still happens with HDD removed. It even happens with RAM removed. No matter what computer won't stay on for more than 2 seconds and will keep restarting itself.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

When u say restarting,
1.do the lights and processor fan run, then the processor fan stops but the lights still remain on.
2. or do the lights and processor fan run, then the processor fan stops and the lights go out and the process starts all over again.

Stay with me here dude ..........Im leading up to things.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #16
Registered Member

This is what happens: I press the power button, lights turn on, processor fan turns on, HDD light blinks twice, then processor fan turns off and then power lights turn off and at the same time I can hear HDD turn off.

And after that it starts all over again.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

When I said I was leading up to things this is what I meant.

I had a similar problem with an old Acer 1690 that I fixed and thats what got me started posting here. I have not put my post to SOLVED just yet as I want to prove that the old lappy will remain stable.

There are hundreds of similar posts with laptops having this same problem and I want to get as many options as possible to pass on.

Read my post here- http://www.techsupportforum.com/f108...re-412145.html

Over the years this laptop has been reformated, bios flashed beer spill disaster, new dvd and RAM and cpu and I have managed to breath new life into it. Then BSOD and well u know the rest.

I thought I was beat this time but I reflashed with the original BIOS. When I reflashed with the original BIOS the lappy nearly fried itself!!!! it heated up and the fan would not cut in. I had to pull the battery and the power to shut it down. I left it to cool off and its been running perfectly with its old BIOS installed.

So has the old BIOS cured it or has something on the mobo come back together??????

The only thing was when I left it switched on for a period of time it would eventually restart. I used the windows BIOS flash utility WINPHLASH not universally recomended but flashed mine ok without problem. Not any good for u as you now dont have Windows on ur lappy.

A couple of years ago I had a BIOS problem with BSOD and I resolved this by buying a usb floppy drive and flashed it using a floppy disk in DOS. You can get the files from Acer web site.

Try leaving it on and if u can get it to POST and get into BIOS check its booting order and see if there is a floppy device option. I believe flashing from a usb device is possible.

Go ask the flashing teckies. Let me know how you get on Dude cos I'm out a solutions.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #18
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help man, there is one more thing I need to know. I really need some files that are on the computers HDD, so can I just take it out of my computer and put it into my friends computer (he has Aspire 5520g also) and boot wthout problem?
Old 09-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

NO. It dont work like that.

U could use a cross over cable but I,m not sure how to set this up.

What I use is an external caddy. You remove your HDD and fit it in the caddy and it becomes an external HDD. It will connect with any PC or Laptop via USB cable. The host PC will recognise it as another drive and all you do is pull off all the files u need. You can even run HDD diagnostics from the other computer/laptop.

If ur lappy cant be fixed dude, then at least u will have an external USB HDD for backups etc. Make sure you get one that supports ur HDD. I think u can get multi HDD support types as well.

Once you get what u want give the BIOS flash a try. Shame to give up and scrapyard ur lappy.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

Just had a thought dude! Im still thinkin u got busted RAM. Why not try a stick of your friends RAM just to prove its not a RAM issue........if its compatible......worth a try!